Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby question

ravenous

Reaction score
Got some babies and they are doing really well. They have started eating frozen bloodworm but the bloodworm are as long as the babies. Is this going to cause them any problems or are they ok eating them?

J

jennifer

I would recommend chopping the bloodworm. A stright-edge razor blade is the best tool I've found for this. Some of the larvae might be eating it, but the smaller larvae might not be.

When feeding non-live food, you need to do massive cleaning and water changes to prevent any rotten food from causing problems. Good luck!

ravenous

Reaction score
I do a 100% water change every day but i use water from a cycled tank because i cant get hold of a filter that i would feel safe using with tiny axies. Thanks very much for the info. i should really of thought to cut them up but sometimes the simplest of idea is the hardest to think of.

Thanks
happy.gif

M

mark

Hi Dan, I put frozen blood worms in a small container with a bit of water and then use some scissors to chop them in to small pieces. The longer you chop the smaller the bits get
biggrin.gif

ravenous

Reaction score
i've just bought a pizza cutter and im gonna see if that works if i put the bloodworm on a piece of wood... i think it might het a bit messy though. I'll try your way Mark if it does get too messy.

Thanks
bowl.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1