Baby food

C

chris

I have my first batch of newly hatched eggs and im finding it a struggle to get live food where I am. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas. I really don't want to loose them. They are 4 days old and seem ok but im getting stressed. HELP!!

You should try to get some brine shrimp eggs. They hatch in about a day and are a good starter food for axolotls.

If you don't have live food locally, it's really a "plan ahead" kind of thing. I'm sure you can mail-order brine shrimp eggs, or start a microworm culture, for your next batch of axies.

The more difficult problem is what to feed the hatchlings you have right now. Outdoor ponds contain a wealth of live food - any ponds there that aren't frozen right now? You can try small amounts of non-live food, and you may be able to get a FEW survivors, if you're lucky - this would be things like soaked pellet bits or chopped frozen bloodworms.

Another option is to put a few of the larvae in the tank with the adult axies. If they avoid being eaten, they will do quite well, because a healthy aquarium is full of natural live food - microscopic life that is too small for us to see, but the larvae can eat it. It may sound crazy, but I'd encourage you to put a few of the larvae in the adult tank, and keep the adults well fed. You might be surprised.

Can you get "Daphnia" over there?- those little creatures saved our wee baby axie from starving- we couldn't get the brine shrimp eggs to work after the first batch...

<font color="119911">Newly hatched mosquito larvae. They are really tiny.</font>

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back