Newly hatched curled tail

B

ben

Hey,
I'm raising some Axolotl from eggs, the first two have hatched today- but I notice one isn't swimming properly- it's tail is curled. Does it take a while to straighten out once it leaves the egg- or will it be deformed?
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

I don't think there is any accurate way to predict whether or not it's tail will stay curled or go straight. Try and think on the bright side though, if it's tail doesn't go straight it'll give your axolotl more character & you'll always be able to tell it apart from other axolotls who are the same colour.
biggrin.gif

When axolotls first hatch they will not be graceful swimmers. Give them a few days.

My sister got a few babies that had hatched with a curve/kink in their tails, 4 weeks on they have straightened out apart from one (only has the slightest of kinks if you really look.)

<font color="119911">I have one baby who's tail didn't straighten out but instead now looks broken. So it looks a bit like this \ . But it is swimming okay except it goes upside down sometimes when it does swim, but it is one of my largest and prettiest, that and I could tell him apart from the others
smile6.gif
. Anyway, there shouldn't be any probs, like they said, it might straighten out when it gets bigger.</font>

Hey,
Thanks for the postings. The little one actually passed away on it's own accord; so perhaps there were some hidden problems too. The others all seem fine, it's great how varied they are. A few have black eyes, a few white, couple of golden and some wild type. But thanks again. Handy for future reference!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back