Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Urgent help- wee baby axie has no food......

M

mary

hi there- we are trying to raise 1 wee axie baby- hatched around 2 weeks ago.The lastest batch of brine shrimp eggs don't seem to be hatching and we can't get anything fresh anywhere in the hutt valley ( wgn, nz). We have put tiny blood worms in but the wee kid is too small- it may die in the next day-not sure if we can get a new batch of eggs hatched in time( have to go to lower hutt to buy them 2morrow)any advise suggestions live food!!????? my husband is getting stressed as he has been looking after it ( i look after mum and dad axie.

kapo

Reaction score
Have you tried daphnia, there are some breeders in Hutt where you can pick up. Search on TM for daphnia. There are 2 fish breeders in Hutt that sell daphnia, blueandkim has a buy now on her auction for $10, other one you can ask him to put a buy now on and he will allow you to pick up more than one culture. (One of my friends just picked some up from the latter breeder today in Maungaraki Western Hills)

Mary, the MWH doesn't have one listed but is known as burger_flipper.

(Message edited by kapo on October 27, 2006)

D

deb

You may also be able to get some microworms from a pet shop - there's an 'Animates' in Lower Hutt I think? They would tide you over until the shrimp hatch again - I often had to do this when mine were babies.

M

mary

hi Deb, i rang them today and they said all they had was brine shrimp eggs or daphnia that would take days to arrive! even tried to put green fly in there out of desperation!!
Kapo has given us a local U/hutt contact and get this- we already know them!!! i should have thought of them but didn't think they would have baby axie food- only hope the wee critter lasts the nite! thanks for your help- mary

A

ang

Hi Mary, have you tried putting your shrimpery in the sun? I have found if I put mine on the window sill on a sunny day and line up the hole with the ray of the sun where it is brightest, they do well. Just watch they don't get too hot.

I have started a system to make sure I don't run out, I have set up a 2 litre bucket with the salt water, aerate it daily, and add eggs every second day, and I have a constant supply of BBS. I turkey baste the BBS off the top, and fill the shrimpery with this, and then off they go!

For just one baby you would do it on a much smaller scale, though.

Have you tried mosquito larvae?

I hope your baby is doing OK, Good luck!!

Hope this has helped.

Ang.
smile.gif

D

deb

You could grind up the blood worms in a mortar and pestle and drizzle some of the 'ooze' over the little thing....

M

mary

hi folks- the wee babe still lives- now with a full belly of daphnia- we had tried the bloodworms but it is still too little... soon tho'!!

kapo

Reaction score
that's good to hear Mary. My friends baby axies have just started hatching, a few days old now. Is this baby one of the eggs left in the tank from the 2nd batch of eggs?

M

mary

hi there Kapo,
yes the teenage axies just had their second batch of babes- only just over a month after the first ( which was totally unexpected). We decided to leave these eggs in the tank- wouldn't do that again tho. found this little babe all alone still in their tank and i just had to rescue it!!
bit worried that the egg laying may be a regular event- might have to pack "daddys" bag and find him a new home...

kapo

Reaction score
You could keep him or separated for a few weeks (they only breed in cooler months - winter to spring and poss. autumn) in a plastic storage tub or fish bin, one of the ones from warehouse - they work great as temporary tanks, we use them as our quarantine tanks, when moving them and their gear between houses, when a tank is cycling and also when one of our bigger tanks cracked? Or you could make a tank divider or buy one of TM which can be put on your current tank.

M

mary

wow how cool that would be!! how many are youngsters- and do you have an axie room?? ours are just in the kitchen... there's really no room elsewhere!

kapo

Reaction score
I shud have said 10 of our own. Six youngsters, now coming up to a year old (2 males, 4 females) - we've had them since Dec last year; 4 3yr old couples since Jan/Mar this year and 10x1 week old babies (temp. axiesit till my sisters' collect them). No we don't have an axie room (more like axie house at this point!) Two tanks in the lounge, three in the spare bedroom; the babies are in the kitchen. Lucky we don't have a garage as we probably would have more tanks and more axies.

M

mary

that is great!i would love to come and visit some time ( i 'm in u/hutt).
i don't know if this wee baby is going to make it- its 3 weeks old now and really doesn't look like it is growing. there's heaps of daphnia with it but they are quite big so it won't eat them.

J

jolly

<font color="119911">Newly hatched Mozzi larvae are good. They are very small. My baby's are over a month old and haven't started growing any legs. Don't worry, some grow pretty slowly.
With BBS, if you have a lamp with a decent light bulb, use it to warm up BBS water. You don't really need air unless you're hatching a lot. Just make sure the water is warm.</font>

M

mary

hi, i don't know that the little kid is going to make it- its just sitting there with daphnia swimming around it- not doing anything. The shrimpery isn't working. i am wondering if i got the wrong salt.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!