Hi all,

Here is Axo getting ready to lay some eggs

71911.jpg

And here is her hanging onto the plant whilst pushing the eggs out

71912.jpg

And here is her eggs.....

71913.jpg

Oh my!
What fantastic quality pictures! Your axie is just so cute! Congratulations on the babies! All the best....

Regards Eastern_axle

Is that a real plant? If not what brand is it? I have had such terrible luck with live plants.... Thinking fake might be better...

Regards Eastern_axle

Yeah, all the plants in my tank are fake, as I also have had bad luck with real ones. To be honest I really dont know what brand, but next time I'm in the petstore I will have a look!

hi there Anna,
did you keep the eggs?
We left ourlast lot in the tank with the mum and dad- felt mean seeing them grow and then seeing them disappear.. next time i will remove them as soon as they are laid i think..

It looks like you are going to have a lot of albino babies. What colour is the father? oh and congratulations

Mother is leucistic (white with dark eyes) and father is Nibbles a dark wildtype from memory!

Absolutely fab to actually see it AND take such wonderful pics of it!
angel.gif

Congrats, auntie Anna!

Silver

Thanks Silver!

Good memory Kapo!

Mary - I did keep the eggs, which hatched approx 70 babies. I wish I had culled them, as I have found it hard to raise so many. I currently have around 40 survivors, who are growing well. I had to go away for a few days, and instructed my brother on how to care for them, and alas I return to around 30 dead ones!

My axo recently laid more eggs however, and I sold these. I have tried to sell Nibbles to a good home, but no-one wants him. So we will be setting up a new tank just for him, as I don't want my axi to continually have babies.

I am a little worried though, as I have a trip planned around new years that I cannot cancel, and dont know who can take care of my babies, and they will still be small so dont really want to sell them. Yikes!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back