Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cannibalism :-(

K

karen

Hi Guys

I think I know what may have caused the death of some of my babies - the last few days I have seen 3 of the babies attack each other.

They have plenty of food and are almost exactly the same size and have lots of space - so I was very surprised.

What seemed more surprising though was that it seemed almost intentional :-(

Previously when I had seen axies snap at each other - I always presumed it was a case of mistaken identity. These last few days though, not only have they snapped - but they have refused to let go once they have got hold of a leg - and have shaken until they leg has come off (then presumably eaten it - it was a little fast to see exactly what happened !!)

Either way I found it all a bit upsettting - and I now have 2 axies that are missing a front leg each :-(

I always convinced myself that missing legs were accidents - it's a bit upsetting to release that thats not really the case :-(

D

deb

I think I know what you mean Karen. We refer to these adorable little cannibals as 'cute' and 'full of personality' but really their motives are purely survival aren't they? Maybe we just need to acknowledge that they are driven by urges that are not human, and accept those urges as part of their 'charm'???
love.gif
My 3 week old larvae are starting to exhibit undeniably aggressive behaviour - toward their siblings!- and at the moment it's very funny. When they're bigger and stronger and limbs go missing I'll have to remind myself they are behaving as axolotls and not people. Hard tho'.

I

ian

Karen...Its survival of the fittest, sorting out the wheat from the chaff, if your not careful the weakest will be eaten. Do you think prince Edward would be around now if he had been a axie.

al

Reaction score
Cannibalism is fierce when they are very young, and tapers off when they become adults. You can decrease this by keeping the same size axolotls in the same setup, and providing lots of plants and rocks to create private areas for them. Having lots of room and a big enough tank will decrease the chances. You can separate them with tank dividers or remove the aggressor to another setup. This is very important when rearing larva. The larger, stronger ones will eat the smaller weaker ones. Some keepers allow this to thin out a large group of larva or they will cull them to aquire this natural process. This is what happens in nature and will keep the genetic pool stronger.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1