Male and female y wont they breed?

C

clay

i have had a male and female in a tank together for about 7 months y wont they breed?

for some reason some axies just dont choose to breed. i think if u lower the water temp that might bring it on but im not sure. are they both fully mature yet?.

True what alex says. We have 3yr olds - male and female, that belonged to our friends who intended breeding them and they have never bred. They had them since babies from 2 different petshops.

they will mature around a year old but sometimes it can take up to 2 years i think.

congratulations!
happy.gif

im getting very stressed wit it but i need to get a air pump and some dapnia realy quick

dont stress to much. it will take about 2-3 weeks for them to hatch, so you have plenty of time to get the daphnia ready. im feeding my new born axies baby brine shrimp and its a mission to hatch them out every single day!. i wish i could get hold of some daphnia here in nz.

i dont even no if i can get daphnia
r brine shrimp tropical or wat

i get brine shrimp eggs from the pet store for about $17.50 for a little tube of eggs and i put them in a inverted bottle with an air stone in there and some rock salt and i have a lamp shinning on it 24/7 to keep the temperature around 26-28 and they hatch after about 24 hours.

um i think its like 2 table spoons per liter. thats how much i put in. if you can get daphnia or some type of microworm i reccomend those over brine shrimp. im finding it a challenge to hatch my brine shrimp everyday.

(Message edited by alex_axolotl on June 06, 2006)

ok i will do that
is it normal for the middle of the eggs to be white all the pics r brown

they are usually half brown half white but if your axies are melanoid then they could be white. this link http://www.axolotl.org/embryo_series.htm shows pics of the development of albino melanoid eggs. when my axolotls bred for the first time all the eggs were infirtile, this applys for alot of axies first breed. but the second breed was very successful with over 200 babys hatching.

well i cant be sure. i would still try to hatch them but if you dont get any then dont be supprised.

yes they will require some sort of airation in the tank. a normal air stone will be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back