I've got babies!!!!

V

vanessa

Mum's axolotl started laying them out last night and it seems that my Kuro Ryu is the dad!
I didn't realize this last night until I looked closer to see a clear shell around the white ball and some of them got stuck to Alex's foot. I got pretty excited and dragged mum into my room (it was almost 11pm) to see the eggs. I was like... YES!!! I finally got baby axolotls! This morning, I woke up to see heaps more on the plants and three ended up on the ammonia sticker (one's starting to divide, I think). Will send pics soon.
I'm estimating half will be black/ half will be gold.

Are you going to keep all the eggs?
I removed at least half as soon as i found them. We have about 30 now- not long to hatching now- getting nervous. Our brine shrimp hatchery thingey has only just been set up!

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Deb R on Thursday 24 August 2006 - 00:27 (#POST104239):</font>

Did you make your own Mary or did you get one off Trade Me?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

What do you mean?

Sorry that wasn't very clear to anyone outside NZ was it Vanessa? Mary asked me how we'd made our own hatchery and I told her how we did it in another thread. Someone else told her she could buy hatcheries through an online site called 'TradeMe' here in New Zealand. I'm interested to know what Mary decided....

my hubbie did the Trademe thing- the hatchery arrived 2 days ago- he set it up and put it on top of a benchtop oven that he kept on warm- today there are miniature brine shrimps already!! sadly the babies aren't hatched yet- i don't know what to do with these wee shrimps-how long do they survive for?

Hey well done! 2 days is pretty fast for hatching - must be because you're keeping them so warm. I think they'll last a few more days in the hatchery before they die (from starvation?). Once your babies have hatched they will live a couple of days on their yolks before they need food so you get a bit of time to mix up your next batch.

i feel bad about these poor little redundant shrimp things- no point releasing them into a pond or river coz they need salt water i guess. You have had babe axies before Deb?

Oh, heh. I didn't realise you were talking to another member. ^_^

The babies are now starting to develop, I've counted 8 developing eggs.

Mum bought me a breeding net to protect the eggs from the parents. It was a pretty sticky job moving them carefully. Ugh, those jellies are rather sticky but I did pull up a thread of five eggs in one strand of jelly. Looks like it'll take an extra week cuz the temp's at 18 degrees.

We are 'first time parents' and our babies are 18 days old now - all approx 55 of them! We didn't realise so many would actually hatch. Latest photos of the wee things are in Axie Gallery under 'Our sweet 10 day old embryos'. Every so often we find one dead - probably ingested an unhatched shrimp egg I think? By the way, in our experience you'll need to keep 2 hatcheries up and running to maintain a constant supply of shrimp.

the new axies are so tiny we can barely see them.
they are on the bottom of the tank- not sure how they will get to the shrimp!!

I'm a 'first time parent too'!
I'm gonna buy a new tank so when they hatch, I can move them quickly after they have hatched but I am not sure if it's a good idea though. I can see their tail flattening and their gill buds. Use a magnifying glass to have a good look. If you're lucky on their 7th day of development, you can have a sneak peek at what skin colour they might be. I could see one might be black just like his daddy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back