Brine shimp hatchery...

B

brett

Hey evry1 i was wondering if any one had any information on how ta make a brine shrimp hatchery... my axies hav just hatchd and i gt the shrimp hatching ina jar but itsd to messy to get the shrimp into the axie tank once theyre hatched.... any help plz...

this is what i do. get a drinking bottle. like a pump bottle will do fine. then cut a little whole in the bottom of the bottle, just big enough to fit an air stone through. then fill it with water, put the rock salt in and the brineshrimp in with the airstone going 24/7. leave this for about a day or two and most of them should be hatched. it helps to have a lamp on the bottle to keep it warm but its not absolutly necessary. if you choose not to have a lamp on the bottle then your brineshrimp will take longer to hatch. after the day or two take out the airstone, leave it for a while for the eggs to float to the top. then get something to sift them out with. i use stockings. sift it out from the bottle by releasing the lid. this method works good for me. just be sure to leave the bottle for a good 10-20 minutes for the egg shells to float to the top so you dont get any of those in with the babys. if the babys consume the eggs/egg shells then they will die. good luck!.

Sweet thanx bro, i gt it all heated, i had a tropical tank wich i gave my fish for mi dad so i gt the bottle sittn in thea with the heater keeping it warm, i had sum sucess with the shrimp doing it ina jar but i just thought there must be a ezier wae and u just showd me thea is so once again thanx!

I found an old "Sun Tea" gallon jug with a spigot on the bottom works well. I mix warm chlorine free water with ocean salt and shrimp eggs. I aerate and insert a heater, keeping the top partially on to avoid splashing. When the shrimp hatch (2 days), wrap the jar with black paper and shine a light on the bottom (after removing air stone and heater. When the egg shells are floating on top and the baby shrimp on the bottom, I use the spigot to "pour off" the shrimp with out the shells. The shells will stick to the sides of the jar. I stop siphoning at 1-2 inches of water is left in the jug. I then clean out the jug and pour the shrimp back in. I mix more solution to top it off and put the aerator and heater back in. The shrimp will last several days if not weeks. You can do 2-3 cultures and keep a seperate holding tank with aeration and heat. You can also feed them, but mine would be fed to the larva in 2-3 days. I would do 2-3 batches a week.
After 3-4 weeks, I would start introducing chopped live black worms and wean off of the shrimp. As they got bigger, I would cut/chop the worms less leaving larger pieces, until they are eating whole black worms. Then I would do the same for pellet foods.

is it posable to feed them sea monkeys...
im guessing probably not. but maybe.. i mean has anyone tried it..

I believe 'sea monkeys' are a brand name for brine shrimp Leigh.

Yeah, sea monkeys is the brand name for brine shrimp a.k.a. artemia. They've probably got a few other names too...

Instant life is another name for them. Leigh, if your planning on feeding an adult on them, don't bother- it won't eat them PLUS they muck up the water 'cause they're saltwater creatures.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back