Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Naughty axies!

S

sharn

today was quite a shock for me. after happily being able to say my axolotls have never shown signs of breeding one of the three males in my tank layed me some little prezzies. there was approx 10 which i pulled out in the hope my female hasnt picked any up.

i just did a water change (probably not the best thing as people say that triggers them but oh well) and then found these little things on the glass and a few on my plants. they looked like limpets basically, about 1mm long. are these eggs or am i going to get lucky and have limpets in my tank? i have pictures which are very poor and basically just show the slighty brown 'limpets'. these have popped up over night like the presents. i looked at the rearing page with the step by step egg development part and they dont look very similar to those eggs, my things were more oval and were brown (perhaps my male wildtype is the culprit lol). most of them are on the glass with about 3 on my plant

thanks guys and wish me luck i dont get babies!

J

joan

All sperm packets are white, regardless of axie color. And they're formed ontop of a jelly stalk. It looks like a sperm-volcano (I'm aware of how that sounds, but it really is the best fitting description I can come up with).

They're probably limpets. As we all know (and have witnessed first hand!), sometimes you get blooms of things overnight. I believe they just eat algae and general slime, and won't cause harm to your axies.

S

sharn

i knew what my presents where as soon as i saw them lol, i meant perhaps my limpets were brown if they were eggs because i own only one wildtype
happy.gif
my little sister thought my sperm volcanoes were quite cool, mum was slightly horrifed but still interested haha!

how long till i am out of the danger zone for egg laying if these were just produced last night?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1