Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

L

lorie

Coz she'll make pretty babies ^_^
Don't worry i have tanks for them
happy.gif

J

joan

For up to 1000 babies? I doubt it.

Raising offspring is seriously time consuming, and expensive. You won't be allowed to let the temperatures get over 20C. You won't be able to go on vacation (or even leave for longer than overnight) for months. You'll have to seperate them according to size, or they'll eat each other. Then you'll have to home them all when they get bigger.

"Because she'll make pretty babies" is not a legitimate reason to breed anything, especially something as hard to place as axolotls.

L

lorie

I was only kidding im gonna seel them of corse (not to the plac i got moomin from tho they're <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font>)
I have 4 3 ft tanks and 2 2ft tanks. I dont rekon all of them will survive on my first try anyway.
I have read all about raising the babies.
Its just knowing when the axie is old enough.

J

joan

I raised 8 offspring, kept 2 of them myself. It took me over 6 months to get rid of the other 6. There is little demand for axolotls, and I highly doubt you'd be able to sell even 20 of them. Selling them to a pet shop means they'll be cared for (and eventually bought) by people who don't know squat about them, and probably won't bother to learn.

There is no reason to breed axolotls unless you are positive you can place ALL the offspring into households that will care for them.

B

brett

Once the axolotl is between 8-10 months old it should be sexually mature and can breed although the female axolotl may not alwaes be ready to breed...

L

lorie

Awww. People really should hlp to get their numbers up. Shame

J

joan

Lorie, again, there isn't much demand for axolotls. Breeding them increases supply, but not demand. There are hundreds of thousands of axolotls (probably more!) in captivity. There's no need to 'get their numbers up'.

S

shaun_d

She can breed once she's got black toes.

(Message approved by jennewt)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1