Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My axies bred!

A

alex

hello, my axies have bred and theres about 30 eggs in the tank, this all happened overnight. if the eggs are half brown half white does that mean they are fertile?.

J

joan

Alex, they're probably fertile, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll hatch. Congrats!

How many do you plan to raise?

K

karen

The should be half half unless the mum's albino I think. I remember reading somewhere that one of the colours is the yolk and the other colour is the developping axie.

Remember to have an airstone in with them and to separate the parents from the babies and keep the babies in very shallow water .... Good luck !

A

alex

the mother is leucustic and the father is wild type. i plan to keep about 20 joan. im having doubts that they will hatch because im not noticing them developing in the last 3 days, could just be that the tanks cold (17 degrees). ill keep you posted. i didnt know to leave them in shallow water, ill take some of the water out sometime tonight.

(Message edited by alex_axolotl on April 19, 2006)

J

joan

If you're not going to raise many, just leave the eggs in with the parents. They provide a good snack.

S

shane

its a good idea to leave them in the main tank. i separated about 30/150 eggs that i had in a container with an airstone... but only about one or two of them hatched, whereas almost all of the ones left in the tank hatched and with the high death rate im so so lucky that i didnt get rid of those in the main tank. well maybe not lol ive still got about 20 floating around that i can seem to find anyone who wants them.
and although its horrible to think.. as joan said they provide a good snack.
congrats by the way. its so exciting isnt it!

A

alex

if the tank temp is around 18-19 how long should i expect them to hatch?. im worried that they have died or something because they havnt changed in shape or size since friday(its now thursday).

A

annabanana

ok im so new to this. i got 2 axolotls about a week and a half ago, and on easter morning there were like 60 eggs (easter eggs, kinda cute) but i'm confused about what i do.... do i seperate all the eggs from the axolotls? and put them in a seperate container with less water? or what? please help!
sick.gif

(Message approved by jennewt)

K

karen

alex i hate to say it but that's what happened to ours. if you lower the temp it does slow growth - has the temp gone down ? Ours also stopped developping and in the end we tried getting some of them out of the eggs ourselves - but they died not long after. Ours were changing each day then suddenly stopped. We kept them a fe weeks longer but nothing happened. I found this link quite interesting

http://bigapple.uky.edu/~axolotl/mutantslist.htm

Maybe there are just genetically faulty ? Is it the first batch ?

A

annabanana

hey thanks luke. yea i have seperated them and put an airstone in with them. my axies r getting quite jumpy etc early in the morning, does thats have anything to do with it? or is this just normal random behaviour haha

(Message approved by ed)

A

alex

karen, yes its the first batch. how big did yours get before they stopped developing?.

K

karen

From the beginning ours were around a day or 2 behind the sample pics that are on this site - so for example on day nine they looked more like day seven stage on this site page :
http://axolotl.org/embryo_series.htm

It's hard to tell though as the eggs are just so small so sometimes you can't tell exactly what stage they are at. Ours were mostly probably at the stage those pics look at at day 9 / 10. They just didn't seem to have properly developed stalks .

What we did at the beginning (once we noticed they were a few days behind) is we bought a heater to keep the temp constant and heat it up a little, and they seemed to speed up (the first few days they had seemed to stay stay 1 stage). Anyway this did the trick, but for some reason the heater was taken out and I have a feeling it was to do with this ....

K

karen

Make sure you keep the airstone in too ...are they not changing at all now .. ?

A

alex

i have had an airstone in the tank since they were layed. they look like the day 4 eggs
sad.gif

K

karen

oh dear .... :-(

I honeslty don't know when it's time to give up ...i can only tell you what happened with ours - sorry it's not much help !

A

alex

my axies bred!... again!. this time there are alot more eggs, basically every object in the tank is covered in axie eggs!!. lets hope it goes better this time.

S

sarah

$#@%, if u were in melb i would have givin u some cash for some eggs :|

(Message edited by Ed on May 09, 2006)

A

alex

theres so many compared to the first time. i watched a bit of them breeding but only saw when the female was laying the eggs. i cant believe how many there are though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!