Just wondering . . . .

J

joanne

After searching through older posts/threads I am still left with an answer-less question . . .

Do male axolotls by chance produce spermaphore "just cause they can"!?! I ask this after finding one lonely spermaphore in Lotle and Falkor's tank last night.

What's the usual chain of events? I am guessing that I do indeed have a girl and a boy and that someone (Falkor I think) got the idea from someone else (Lotle the little hussie - JOKES lol) that some eggs could use a little sperm. So, Falkor being the gentleman that I raised him to be thought it only polite to oblige . . .

(How am I doin here?? Sounding like I know about "the birds and the bees"?
blush.gif
)

OR . . .

Falkor is just showin off that he is all grown up now!?!?

Can anyone clear up this one for me? Is finding one spermaphore nothing to worry about? Or is finding one spermaphore a sure sign that there WERE more and now I should keep an eye out for eggs?

If you see one, there were (or ARE) probably more. Spermatophores are not easy to see, and deteriorate quickly. I think the male will only produce them if there is a female nearby. In other words, there is some "intent", it's not just a random secretion.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back