Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do Axolotls form packs?

R

rheann

I was wondering this, I hope it's not a stupid question I just know the answer. Do Axolotls form packs? Meaning is there a dominant female and a dominant male? And if so, do they only mate with each other or will they mate with others? So far I only have three Axolotls, and only two are sharing a tank. I was wondering this, as I have heard their is always dominance in the tank. Thanks guys
happy.gif

A

anne-marie

Axies do tend to have their own personalities - I used to have a really aggressive female, perhaps she preferred being on her lonesome and resented Quetzal. I don't think they have dominance as such but I think some get hungrier than others, causing nipping.

As far as mating, it's not an issue generally as spermatophores are left lying around in the tank and whichever female is nearby and so inclined, will pick it up. Then lay eggs and forget about em.

As far as packs getting on together, I've got 8 in a tank and they all seem to get on perfectly well - no missing limbs, no bites, no aggro.

R

rheann

Thanks Anne
happy.gif
I think it's cute how my two Axies like to lay next to each other, maybe they're having a staring contest lol
lol.gif

N

nathan

with the personality thin i think they do. because whenever you try to take photos there will be one that hides and one that shows off
bowl.gif

A

anne-marie

It is, I know. They're in a 4 ft tank at the moment and 8 is the maximum capacity. But they were all the offspring of my original two axies and I just ended up collecting them. And selling the other 92
smile.gif

S

stipe

YES they do form packs, lol. Squidy was my first ever axolotls, and he is a very PROUD axolotl, i mean nothing will stop him. When i moved him to my 3.5foota he has to be fed first of my other 3 will get rammed by him. He is the king. Once i fead the snail a little bite and squidy lituarly charged the snail, nocked him ova and ate the tablet, lol, i couldnt stop laughting, but definatly i recon there is a hieracy. AND squidy is the smallest of them all.

S

sharn

they would group together because thats just a good place to be, either to watch for food or predators or just feel safer

J

joan

Axolotls are not social creatures. Squidy's aggressive behavior was to get food, not to dominate over the other animals for the sake of domination.

J

joan

English is not Stipe's first language. He does quite well. English is a hard language to learn. This is not the place to berate anyone's grammar. It is a place to discuss axolotls.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1