When do axy eggs start to hatch?

A

anne-marie

Self explantory question really. Mine haven't bred for around two years and I can't remember how long exactly it takes. I guess it's dependant on temp but can anyone give me an approximation? I had an idea it was around two weeks?? Also, for readers in Australia, have you ever seen Daphnia sold in stores? It seems to be impossible to get them over here.

Guess I'd better clarify - I mean live daphnia, not frozem.

I've kept the eggs in a separate container with water temp at 23º C. ... they all hatched after about 12-14 days

14 days on adverage. my last lot hatched 4 days early, hence they got eaten by the parents, cause i hadnt taken them out of the tank - i was going to do this the next day.....but too late!!! i only have 2 now.

these ones were kept at a warmer temp, that might be why thay hatched early???

In my first lot 6 hatched at 13 days and nearly 200 hatched at 14 days - one hatched at 19 days, and he's fine

???????????

sorry -i just read the rest of the message - DUH!!!

live daphnia = NON EXISTANT IN AUSTRALIA!!!

And just why is it non existent in Australia? By all accounts, these critters are really easy to breed. Fresh water, long lasting, self perpetuating. Could there be a business opp for someone out there? ( I would like to add a copyright for Anne-marie Walton at this point)!

Live daphnia exist in South Australia...
happy.gif

Do they? You lucky +#$&@! However I am glad of the info because I have been to aquarium shops here in lil'old Perth and have not been able to get daphnia. So how is it that you guys can have daphnia, and we can't? Do they only survive in warm temps?

I'll ask the store where they get theirs from next time I'm in. They sell them in little 1 litre containers with a bit of java moss for 2$, and since my axies are getting big to be eating them anyway I haven't bothered breeding them myself! Maybe there IS a business opportunity here!

Can you buy any daphnia starter kits over the internet? I know you can find brine shrimp kits, so it might be worth a look? I could look into sending you (and Mary!) some if you want.

I've just found some in New Zealand. Yay!! It took a lot of ringing around though, and in the end (at a shop I had already enquired at) I went in and asked, and they could order me some in.... so make sure if the assistant doesn't know what daphnia is, that you find someone who does....
It was at one of those huge mega pet centres that I found it in the end, but only in humungous bags, enough probably for 1/2 a million axolotl babies to survive on

Frank,
out of curiousity, what was the mega pet store? I'm wondering if they exist in the mainland?

It was animates, they're in Chch and Dunedin also, but if you can't find daphnia there (the wgtn one didn't have them) ring the Lower Hutt branch and I'm sure they would supply you with it, or give me your address and I'll send you down some of my lot....

If you could send me some, that would be fantastic! Have you got an email address I can give you my address on?

Actually I just noticed your profile says you're in Australia (I assumed you were in the south island) I don't know if I could send it overseas....

They youldn't pass through customs. When I came to Australia they nearly made me leave my can of sliced mango behind! I hate airplane food! heh. They almost definately wouldn't allow live animals in the post, regardless of how small.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back