Breeding q.

B

brendan

Will a female lay eggs even though there is not a male present?

Occaisionally but quite rare.. IO have experienced it once when a female laid 4 eggs. I guess she was just having a 'clear out'.

A quick question on the topic:

Is it important for a female to breed and dispense her eggs? A while ago I saw a female that had a huge abdomen and was filled to absolute capacity with eggs, but because there was no male present she never had the opportunity to dispense them. She was an adult, exact age unknown. She was soon to pass away due to this condition, and because of the size of her belly, she could not float 'normally', she kept on rolling over and floating with her belly in the air, despite her attempts to prevent this. She tried very hard to stop this.

Any thoughts? Could this have been something else or could it be due to un-dispensed eggs?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back