Eggs (have moved it to here - just realised was in wrong place)

J

jenny

my golden axie and either my (its either a melanoid of a wildtype) have had babies. albino is a boy, other is a girl. it is darker than my other wildtype one, she looks more black. she has sort of gold rings round her eyes but it looks quit similar to my other wildtype i think.

what colour will the babies be? the eggs are half black and half white. or are all eggs like this? ive seen pics of eggs in books but its hard to tell the exact colour.

i have moved the eggs to a bigg plastic storage tub. there are hundreds and they are still attached to the plant. there are still some left in the tank but they are all singular and hard to pick up.
i have put an airstone in the tank to. is it ok that so many of them are in the tank together?

Try using a turkey baster to pick up the eggs that are left in the tank.

When I had eggs I left them all together in a small aquarium with no gravel and an air stone and they hatched out well. I can't say this is the best way, but it worked for me.

I looked for and removed dead/infertile eggs twice a day.

I only had albino so all my eggs were white. So I cant help you out on color.

Good luck with your eggs.
-Cynthia

(Message edited by cynorita on December 19, 2004)

i did a search for a turkey baster on ebay and i now know what one is. but only a couple in america came up. i live in england. is there another word for a turkey baster?

Jenny, congratulations on breeding your axies, mine bred last week too. Axolotls produce black and white eggs so don't worry about that, the light side is the yolk sac and the dark side is the embryo or so i've read,but like Cynthia said the eggs may be all light in colour if you have leusistic. It's hard to say what colours your young will be, i have two wildtypes that produce leusistic aswell as dark.
It depends on what genes your axies carry.

I keep all newly laid eggs together in a large aquarium or a small bath type thing. When they hatch i put groups of 10-15 in small tubs(like an ice cream tub) as they grow i then split young into groups of similar sized individuals to avoid cannibalism. They're not too hard to rear as long as you can get a good food supply. I use daphnia,but you can also use brine shrimp, try your local aquatics for these. Good luck with them and have fun!

thanks for the info!

i had a few bad eggs but i think its because one of my axies kept eating them and spitting them out.

is there any other way of telling if an axy is a wildtpye or melanoid?

This is a pic of my female axy that had eggs. the 'goldish' ring that i see around her eyes doesnt really show up that well. but i dont know if anyone can tell by her colouring.

her left eye looks a bit funny but it doesnt usually look like that.

28029.jpg

Good luck with your eggs jenny

Just thought i'd ask how your Palm sals are getting on, we've not heard anything.

my palm sals died the other day
sad.gif

i might try again with them in a few years or something but if im able to get them directly from the supplier.

a tiger sal would be good but then i dont know because they burrow a lot plus the toxins on them.

theres about 400 baby axies i need to look after for the time being though!

think im gonna sell some on ebay! need to find out about packaging though.

Jenny,
The only way you will get a Palm Salamander direct from the supplier is to go and take it from the wild yourself. I would suggest you do not try again with them until you are confident that you have the experience and knowledge to provide for them in the manner they require.
Also you will find that it is illegal to sell your Axolotls on e-bay.

Jenny,

Andrew is right, it is illegal to sell any animals on ebay.

Maybe you should try and advertise them caudata.org, in the for sale section.

But dont expect to get any money for them, this is because they aren't viable animals. And most people want to give them away, so they have more of a chance of survival.

For example I have recived over 100 eggs from different people with no charge to me (Thanks Very much to John C, and Andrew B)

thats a good idea. i didnt think of here.

im ok with giving them away anyways, there is going to be so many of them i know i wouldnt be able to sell them all to pet shops. how would i go about transporting an axolotl across the country though if anyone wanted one?

Also, if you manage to hatch out a huge number, I wouldn't try to raise more than, say, 30 or so depending on resources you have. Salamander larva consume large amounts of tiny food organisms.

what do i do with the remainding few hundred then?

would people want a handful of them at that age?

i just looked at ebay rules - and technically i can sell axolotls on ebay.

Live Animals

Live animals or pets other than the exceptions noted here, may not be listed on eBay. The sales of the following items are permitted, provided that the seller guarantees in the listing that the animals will be packaged safely and posted via next day delivery.

* Aquarium or pond fish, snails or similar creatures.
* Lobsters, crabs, shellfish and other similar creatures that are live when sold but intended for human consumption.
* Live insects, crickets and worms used as bait or feeder food for pets.

ok maybe not just realised read it properly.

i will still contact them though and see.

I personally think that you WILL have a hard time finding homes for these unless u offer them to people as eggs, the likely hood of all the ones u hatch getting to adult hood is quite small.

If u want to transport them, i have two ways you can do it, either a small 500ml coke etc bottle very tightly done up, or if you have some moss as long as it is kept very damp with the eggs on it you dont have to send them with water.

you will have a problem sending axies in the uk the cost is to high better to let them go as eggs.

i bet i send them as eggs though and a well odd looking axy is among them!
sad.gif

ill think about it...

What makes you think that you will get a odd colour from your eggs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back