Male or Female? Help me!

P

paige

Hey everyone. Me and my boyfriend both have axolotl's and we'd like to eventually breed them. We think that we have a male and female but we don't know how to be 100% sure. We have looked at the pictures at axolotl.org, of the bulge thing behind their back legs, but we've also been told that if you look underneath them, between their legs, you can tell too. But we still don't really know what we're looking for? Does anyone have photos of 'that' area that could help us out? Please give us any help you can! Thank you!

You really don't need to look underneath, the side view pictures at axolotl.org are quite representative.

A large bulge between the back legs indicates a male, while a small or no bulge means its a female. What's "small" and "large" is subjective. Sorry.

Body shape of a mature axy can indicate sex as well. Although not as reliable as the cloacal method, a large bowing out belly can indicate a female, although feeding contributes to this obviously.
lick.gif
Males tend to appear much more slender in the stomach region, when viewed from above.

Thanks for your help peoples, from that I still think we have a male and female. Cause mine is real fat and doesn't seem to have a bulge, and Josh's (my boyfriend) is more long and slender and has a bigger bulge. Plus the pet shop guy said it was a male so I'm really just trying to figure what mine is but I'm sure it's a female.

So anyways, if we want to put them together to breed, how do we know if they're interested in it and if they are breeding? How can we tell? I know I sound like an idiot but we are new to the breeding thing. We've had a few axolotl's between us, but have never bred any. Please help us out!

Put them in together, and if they get along, you'll know soon enough. These guys seem to be the rabbits of the amphibian world. You'll wake up or come home to a tank dotted with spermatophores (a clear stalk with a white blob, the sperm packet, on top). Then, within a few days (or hours at times), you'll see eggs. There's no surefire way to 'force' them into mating. Good luck!

hi guys
i am new to the site and are new to axolotls i hav a male and want a female so that i can breed them i was wondering how to breed them
thanks Axie

Just replying to Jodie
to tell if they are a male or female you can look underneath if the axolotl has two lumps its a boy if it has one it is a girl
Axie

Josh, I'm not sure where you got this 'one lump or two' idea, but it's not correct.

I don't suggest breeding them. To breed means to spend a lot of money on food, tanks, dechlorinating chemicals, time. Taking care of offspring takes up so much time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back