Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mom=white, Dad=wild-type,Babies=???

H

heather

<font color="0077aa"><font face="verdana,arial,helvetica"></font>IF i bred a white with a wild-type what would the babies look like??I have never bred axolotls before and i have no idea what the out come would be like!if anybody has an idea, please help me!!</font>}

M

mik

ok this is quite a complicated subject. Take alook at this file I attached and if necessary email me on my addy.

Need more information to advise you on the possible outcomes. Particulary on your white - is it albino or leucistic? If you don't know difference check certain physical charaterisitcs against the table attached and let us know.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>
mime_msexcel.gif
This is a work in progress
Axolotl colouring rev P1.xls (22.5 k)</td></tr></table></center>

For anyone else interested I have posted this in axolotl group section under the species forum with a few notes and requests.

Heather as a quick response depending on the genotype of your beasts on there several outcomes:
100% dark babies
50% dark 50% albino
50% dark 50% leucistic
25% dark 25% albino 25% leucistic and 25% leucistc albino

Sounds complicated and it is somewhat but the ratios are important in determing all of the colour genes in your axies. But with more information on what you have we can determine more probable ratios and types than in this very brief response.

J

john

Babies = human. I think the term you're looking for is larvae :p.

Mik - do you want to be a moderator of the Axolotl Topic? Read the thread in the Caudata.org Announcements section.

M

mik

lol--I like the term babies I just think of larvae as being repugnant maggots. dunno y...maybe I was savaged by a fly as a baby or something.

Ok read the announcement. I would be honoured to give it a go. I don't claim to be an expert and I'm sure I learn a little more everytime I log on. But do love axies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1