Hmm

N

nathan

when my axie has egg they are wight but she is a wiled type but my male is golden albino is this weird?

They don't develop their color until later in egg development. They also get much darker in the first few months after hatching, as my experience has it. You could also have a wildtype that is carrying recessive albino/leucistic traits. With one parent contributing only albino, and the other possibly contributing albino, you could end up with a 50/50 split.

Hmm, I am thinking that I may have some babies coming soon so I am just preparing. Saying soon is anywhere from a month to two weeks so I better be getting the brine shrimp hatcheries ready. I have never had success before but this time I am fully confident

whoops i just noticed something in my first sentence White not wight

I found that using a heater was REALLY important in hatching brine shrimp.

Heater - you get a better hatch rate if the water is kept warm - about 28 deg C.

What did you use as your hatchery I am using 2 2Litre bottle setup. How can you fit a heater into one of those?

Get a little old basic heater - I've got an AquaOne heater for an 80L tank - it just fits in a 2L bottle. Cheap too. (City Farmers -
wink.gif
hehe)

Where in the hell did you get the word "wight" from in the first place?
happy.gif

(Message edited by waltona on July 04, 2005)

I keep my brine shrimp hatchery in a plastic tub. The tub is full of water and the hatchery sits in the heated bath. The hatch bottle is a 2 liter bottle with the bottom cut off and an air line tube to the bottom (bottle top), I sit the hatchery bottle inside the bottom part of another bottle filled with gravel.

yep i have just started construction of one of those tonight (the lid nozzle thing)thank you for the tip michale. i am going to sit my one in a cup if it will work but a will send a pic once im done

most important things hmm would they be food and water changes?

I use the 2 liter pop bottle hatcheries and keep them inside an empty 12 gallon aquarium with a 60 watt light bulb just over the top of the aquarium. Brine shrimp hatch every 24 hours, so this provides enough heat in my situation.

I hatch brine shrimp eggs in a cold basement (16-18C) with no added heat or light. They aren't ready to harvest until the 3rd day, but they hatch just fine. In my experience, the critical thing is to have good eggs with a high hatch rate.

Food isn't really necessary if you use them as soon as they hatch. Ditto for water. I used to have to set up a new batch of eggs and water every 2 or so days so in essence you're starting out fresh every time. I've only done this once though, so if any of these regular hatchers come up with more advice, it may be better advice than mine
smile6.gif

no i was talking about axies when i said what the most important things were

Well, that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Yup, tiny food and lotsa water changes, lots of $$$ to afford the tiny food, lots of time for the water changes (used to take me about 3-4 hours a day to change water, about another hour to feed em) lots of space for all the crates you're gonna need to house them in. My advice is - just say NO
nono.gif

what water did you use to change the water. and about saying no , i have to do it once. also how many did you raise (eggs)

Ordinary de-chlorinated tap water.
I understand about the "needing to do it once" - I'm the same - I never listen to what anyone says, I have to make up my own mind.
In terms of eggs - they laid about 400 and I got around 120 to sell off. I guess that's around a 1 in 4 success rate.

That’s a very good success rate for axies, I have decided to only raise 100 or less so it would be a bit easier then 400 also I have a tub outside that I am going to try my method on with the rest of the babies. I have identified life in there that the axies can eat but i will still try to get a daphnia colony happening to make sure they have food. I need to use up my brineshrimp anyway

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back