Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Growing legs early while in egg jelly???

R

rheann

Ok, I thought that baby axolotls didn't start sprouting their legs until about 9 days or so after they hatch... well, my axolotl eggs are around 17 days old, only one has hatched so far while the others are still in the jelly, however on closer inspection, there seems to be one baby who is bigger than the others, it is still in its jelly and already starting to grow its front legs. They are just tiny little nubs.

Is this normal? Or should I break the jelly and help the baby get out? I gently prodded the egg and it moves around just fine inside but doesn't show any desire to join the outside world.

Has anyone else experienced early leg growth? I'm 100 percent sure they are leg buds. They are on both sides and in the correct location.

J

joan

Those aren't legs, they're balancers. The little 'uns will use these to hold on to things until they start growing their legs.

R

rheann

Oh! lol, thanks Joan, I had no idea
lol.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!