OK You guys will know!!! Help please..........

jessica

Reaction score
Display Name
Jessica J. Miller
<font color="119911"><font face="arial,helvetica"></font>Ok, so I posted a question in the wrong place, first it was what happens if I get eggs I dont want what do I do, or will mom & dad eat them, is having eggs harmful to the female at all or what?? Anyway really is there something besides separating them I can do to discourage breeding? I recently got a female I don't want babies, but my 2 are so happy to have a friend that I don't want to separate them. Just not sure what I should do I sure love my little ones and want to make sure they are ok and happy.
smile.gif

aNY help would be awsome, THANKS!
</font>}

Overbreeding a female can wear her out which will shorten her life span and make her less resistant to other things. If she starts laying batch after batch you really should separate them. My experience has been that some axolotls breed like rabbits, others don't. If you have unwanted eggs you can either 1.give them away, (Schools are great places for this because the kids can watch the embryos develop, very educational and an easy sell to gradeschool teachers) 2.Cull them out as soon as they are layed. 3. If you leave them in the tank with the parents, the parents will usually start eating them as soon as they start moving in the jelly (not really my favorite solution but you did ask if they will get eaten and they will). Good luck, maybe your pair will be of the low frequency mating variety (most aren't but you could get lucky).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back