Will they have eggs?????????????

M

monique

<font color="aa00aa">My axies are differnt genders. Will they have eggs and if so can I move the eggs to another tank???
HELP ME PLEASE!!!</font>

hold your horses! just because you have different sexes doesnt mean youll get babies, i have 3 males and a female in a tank and no babies, theyre been together over a year now.
IF they do have eggs you can take em out and move em to a smaller bare tank or put them a few to a container to make sure they all get evenly fed and no disease out breaks wipe out the lot

Thanks. I have been so worried. I didn't know what to do if they did have eggs.

you could cull them if you want. rasing babies takes ALOT of work, daily water changes, live foot etc and alot of money. i wouldnt stress too much
happy.gif

Wow. They sound like a lot of hard work. I wouldn't want to cull them though.

what is culling ????
i have seen the word before in a lot of threads throughout the site

culling is selectively removing the eggs so that they don't grow. though the word it's self isn't just limited to fish and amphibians, it can be used in many different ways.

Culling also takes place before the embryo inside the egg starts to developed. Anytime after is cruel. I think the best way to do it is to freeze them right after they are laid, and to not flush them down the toilet. I read a horror story on this site where a couple flushed the eggs, the eggs survived into adult axolotls, bred, had their own eggs, and in turn their own offspring, and clogged the pipes. A plumber came over and they took all the axolotls and dumped them into a near by river. Big no no
sad.gif

Also I agree with Sharn. Raising babies is a lot of work. Also, you have to keep in mind if you can find homes for all the babies you raise. You should always ask ahead of time so that you are prepared.

or pour boiling water on them... freezing can apparently be quite bad (even though im sure they dont feel much at that stage) because it can send bits of frozen blood fragments around which cuts them up like razors...
i prefer the boiling water method because the temp shock kills em before the water burns them.

i also read that story a while ago- pretty amazing!

Sharn,
I haven't seen any references about frozen blood fragments traveling around cutting them like razors... This is not what occurs when animal like a caudate is frozen to death.
If there is concern about whether the culling may be humane or not then the use the appropriate methods in the following article.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/euthanasia.shtml

Ed

Well, I'm not sure if a caudate's blood is the same as a human's, but the blood does crystalize when frozen with humans, damaging the capilaries.

I also wouldn't suggest boiling water as a method of euthanasia for an older axolotl. I remember a thread awhile back where an axolotl survived a trip in a pot of boiling water...

(Message edited by amori on January 01, 2006)

Yes the blood does freeze (ice crystals develops as the water freezes) and the cellular membranes lose thier flexibility due to to cold temperatures and rupture from the pressure of the ice crystals hence the damage in the capillaries in the sections of the frozen tissue. This does not mean that there are clumps of frozen water in active circulation. According to the literature, one of the reasons freezing is not an acceptable method of euthenasia is because the amphibian does not lose consciousness and can still feel pain while the freezing is acutally occuring.

Ed

never thought about them standing colder temps... i just assumed blood is blood and it all does the same stuff when it freezes.
no definatly not boiling water for a 'alive' axie (above larvae stage) that would be quite cruel. i just used boiling water on one of my tetras because it had neon disease and i couldnt think of any other way.

if i had to kill a axie id get it put down- i just cant handle killing things!

i just couldn't justify spending that sort of money on a vet bill and would do it myself "humainly" i have put numerous animals to death that were past the stage of repair and have no problem doing it if they are in that much pain.......
but hey each to there own
happy.gif

although saying that, my dog died in the back of my car on the way to the vet and it really broke me up
sad.gif
still think about it heaps....

can somebody please give me a link to the article about the axies in the pipes?
happy.gif

I wish I could find it! Lol I want to read it again and print it off. I only shared a little bit of that story with my husband and he thought it was really weird that happened. if anyone finds it, I'll check back. I wish I could remember the name of the thread.
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back