Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange "eggs" out of water on tank of juvenile axies

K

kate

Last week we found a cluster of white egg-looking things pushed out of the water on the side of the tank. They are filled with goo, but have not changed since they were put there. Then yesterday we found another cluster just the same, but ABOVE the first. What could these eggs be, and how the hell did they get above the first lot? My axies are only small and young too. Thanks for your help

J

jordan

small and filled with goo.... i have no clue maybe posting pictures would help

E

edward

These sound like apple snail eggs (provided you have one or more snails in the tank). Snails in the apple snail genus lay thier eggs above the water line and when they hatch the snails fall into the water.

Ed

A

apryl

and from my experience you only need one snail!although the eggs are a sort of hardish gel lump,not goo.

K

kate

My boyfriend will bring over his digital camera this weekend for a picture, ok?
happy.gif

As for the idea of snails, we have already had baby snails develop, and thats without the clusters. Is there any way that these could be bad, or should i leave them be for now?

J

jordan

for now i would move them to another smaller container and watch them.

J

joan

If your axolotls are snail eaters, I wouldn't bother removing the eggs (think "nice crunchy snack"). If they don't eat snails, you can easily end up with an infestation, and should probably remove the snail eggs.

R

rheann

Cynthia's Axolotl... oh, I don't remember which one eats snails if given the opportunity. I think she says it actively hunts them if they end up in the tank
happy.gif

I think that's pretty cute.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!