Questions about black and white toes

R

rheann

Hey guys,

Ok, some questions about pigments on the tips of axie toes.

I read that black toes are most seen on light colored Axolotls when they have reached sexual maturity, and that white toes will be on the darker Axolotls.

Several of my Axolotls have colored toes now, but they haven't reached sexual maturity as far as I can tell and only a few toes are colored.

Do colored toes always mean sexual maturity?

Also, I am not sure how old my Axolotls are, and they are getting to a point where I can almost tell what their sex's are but I am still not sure.

If anyone has any Axolotls that are under a year old and know what their sex's are, would they mind posting some pictures for me of their sexy bits so I can get a better idea of what mine might be?

I think I might have one male, but I am not sure. It seems like he has a larger bump. He has white toes and one of the other Axolotls that I think is a female has black toes and it has a small bump, so I want to tell ahead of time so I can get the males and the females separated
happy.gif

Thanks guys.

I am still learning about the breeding and sexual maturity of Axolotls, so any info will help me a lot.

I don't think I can get any pictures good enough for people to tell me what their sex's are, but I am going to keep trying
happy.gif

In my experience they seem to get the black toes before they are fully developed.

I had an albino like this and i was convinced it was female until about 4 months later when my girlfriend pointed out the two small lumps forming at the base of his tail.

Mind you he was trying to develop right in the middle of the Australian summer and i think the warmer conditions might have slowed him down.

Ah, thanks Andrew! I was wondering when someone would answer my post lol.

Three of my sub adults seem to have little bumps, but my white one with black eyes doesn't have any bumps. The one that seems the most developed is Grimace my black one which I am pretty sure is a male by now.

Only time will tell though with the others
happy.gif

you cant be fully sure until you see em laying spermatophores, eggs or poo... well maybe they all do that but if they do lay poos then you know that there not constipated
biggrin.gif
blob.gif
angel.gif
blush.gif
smile3.gif
lick.gif
smile3.gif
(wise words from nathan)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back