Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help!

R

rachael

Put this in another section but this is more fitting!!!I am a new member who has had 4 female axies for 2 yrs and went out 2 months ago and got a male!!!(prob.very silly idea).We have since had two batches of eggs which hatched 3 weeks apart with an almost 100% successful hatching rate.They have thrived on a diet of home grown brine shrimp until yesterday when the older batch(now 4 weeks)started dying.They seem to have lost their balance and are going a milky white color(they were dk.grey).Very depressing as not sure what to do.Moved the healthier looking ones to own tank last night but they are starting to look unwell this am.We do regular water changes ph is fine.Any ideas or suggestions would be great.We love the site and it has been very helpful.Plus we love the photos of everybodies"babies"!!!!!Rachael

J

jennifer

There are several possible causes of any mass die-off of larvae. (1) Food. In this case, you are feeding them an appropriate live food, so I don't think this is the problem. Brine shrimp can cause deaths if they ingest unhatched eggs, but this would only kill a few and the rest would look healthy. (2) Water quality. There are a LOT of variables here (type of food, quantity of food, type/size of container, amount/frequency of water changes, etc., etc.). Considering the insane number of larvae that you may be trying to raise, I suspect that this could at least be a factor. (3) Disease/infection. This can be exacerbated by poor water conditions. It can be sometimes be stopped by antibiotics sold for fish in pet shops, but you have to act quickly before they are all affected.

A

alex

hey jeniffer macke this has nothing to do with this topic but i was just wondering what is that amazing animal in ur display pic??is that an axie??i have neva seen an axie with such amazing colouration!!.

R

rachael

Many thanks for your help Jennifer.I also think photo is amazing!!!!

S

stipe

i think that its a baby salamander befor it comes out of the water. i could be wrong, oh well.

H

hailz

Hey stipe (sorry this is completely unrelated to your question Rachael) i was just curious if you axie ended up laying any eggs?

S

stipe

it laid ONLY 10 eggs. i was confused then thought i would wait if it laid more. but it didn't. i didnt expect it to anyway because it wasnt fat. the eggs all died for sum unknown reason, didnt hatch. i think it was because they where not fertilised properly.

oh well thats life.

H

hailz

im sorry to hear that stipe, maybe she's just to young? maybe next tome, best of luck with them

J

joan

Rachael, you said you do regular water changes, but how often is regular? With very small larvae, in small tubs, you should change the water daily. You should also clean up any uneaten brine shrimp right away. These foul the water quickly.

PS: Jenn's pick is a (possibly) neotenic Neurergus strauchii.

J

jennifer

Yes, my photo is a juvenile spotted newt, Neurergus strauchii. Since the photo was taken, all of them have lost the lovely gills, so it's not neotenic, unfortunately.

Rachel, keep us updated. With more details, we may be able to give better troubleshooting ideas.

R

rachael

Many thanks for ideas.I have been doing daily water changes not all water but nearly 80%.Could you tell me what size the phot has to be to go beside my posts as well?Still trying to keep the babies alive might have had success with a couple but still not sure.Thanks again.

C

cynthia

Rachael - I believe the picture needs to be 150 x 150 pixels or less.

R

rachael

Thanks for info on photo.Hope it works ok.This is the mum of my second batch of babies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1