Weird Behaviour

B

belinda

Hi,
My little guys (now around 9-10 weeks old) are starting to act very strange. They are spending a lot of their time at the surface of the water, either sitting on the floating plastic plants or just floating, they have a bit of their head above water. They also sometimes swim upwards frantically like they are trying to get themselves out of the water. Also my little leucistic has increased blood flow around the gills, he/she can go from white to red.
My fist thought is that they need more oxygen but they each have an air-stone in with them.

Some advice would be greatly appreciated

B

My axolotl behaves like that all the time - but he is an old adult. He also changes colour.
Sorry I can't comment on what's normal for young axies.

Belinda, what are your water conditions like? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH? Perhaps there is imbalance in your water quality? This could be what is causing their behavior. I hope others are able to help you further
happy.gif

well, my baby axies are around the same age as yours and they arent doing that. i just have mine in plastic tubs with no plants or airstone and they are breathing just fine. how often are you doing water changes, i do mine daily and the axies dont deem to mind being moved around. i have a feeling that its the water quality, or maybe not. also how much and often are you feeding them because my younger baby axies float whenever there bellies are empty or they didnt manage to get enough food. i hope they are ok.

Mine do that too, despite perfect water conditions. I have a large floating plastic plant that they love sitting ontop of, with their noses out of water. Mine are older (5 months), but have always liked their noses out of water. I love axolotls in that they're always so strange.

mine somtimes float at the top. and i also noticed when they move around the tank they walk like dinosars. they dont swim, they walk its so kool.

Thanks for your help.
Two of my little guys were dead when i came into work today :-( i don't know what i did wrong. I change their water every day and give them a constant supply of live black worms. I am starting to think maybe my water was contaminated?? But I put something in to remove chlorine and chloramine and filter it for a few hours. I noticed yesterday that their gills were curled and one of their gills was covered in white fluffy stuff and they had stopped eating.
Any ideas? because i have two left and i don't want them to die too!

if thier gills where curled i would say that your water current was too stong. Im sorry for you loss and hope you find the problem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back