How old, femae or male ?

M

maja

<font color="0000ff">when can i see if its a female or a male ? i donno how old they are now.. theyre toes are becomming dark.. but ive read that its very diffrent from axo to axo.. can anyone tell me how old they are ? .. not exaxly..
wacko.gif
</font>
}

You can't tell how old they are unless you know the date of hatch. If they're starting to come into sexual maturity (females will get rounder with eggs, males will develop a cloaca), they could be between 6 and 18 months of age.

If they aren´t the same sex , In time you will start to notice some differences in their bodies. When they are small you can see some differences like the males have larger heads and smaller bodies, and more things that you will learn to notice if you ever have eggs, and breed some axies

hi dont wanna make a new thread !
but i think i have a female and a male so heres some pics ! they have reached sexual maturity.
the first one is a lil bigger than the other one, (but it also have the whole tail..) donno if its me that imagnine things ! but im sure its a female n a male
lame.gif

43406.jpg

43407.jpg

please help me, wanna know !
biggrin.gif

by the way i saw one of them yawn today !! haha..
yawn.gif
ill never forget that !
43408.jpg
theyre so cute..

ahh! they are so cute! are you sure they yawned. I have a male and female and the male did this yawn sought of thing while they were mating! they look like a girl and boy to me. but I'm not sure because he doesn't have a swelling as big as mine. oxox hope we can all help oxox

I was wondering if you could help me? what size tank do you have them in? and what temp is it at. they look like very happy axolotls. have you ever had cotton wool fungus with either of them?

na i just think it was tired
yawn.gif
hehe.. it did it right after i took the pictures..
maybe i just have to wait some more time, till they get bigger..

oh sure ;) they are in the big tank now.. ( 260ltrs ) but i have a 60ltrs made for them but theres to much nitrit in.. the temp is around 24c, its hard to keep it cooler..
shocked.gif

to know what cotton fungus is do a search in the forum and you will find some posts with photos about it.
Maja I think you are right , on the second picture the one in the front I´m almost sure that is a female and the other a male.
It is hard to tell by the photos, I usually can tell really early cause I had have at my work axies eggs,so many times.

wacko.gif
i hope so much i have a girl n a boy ! hehe..

i have found out what fungus is..
dizzy.gif
its just me a always ask first, hehe..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back