Tezca and Mulac's eggs

H

halszka

After spending 2 weeks in isolation after Mulac ripped the skin on her leg (it was gross, you could see the muscles and bone but no blood), Tezca, my white albino, was put back into the main tank. Next morning there were spermatophores everywhere, thanks Mulac you oversexed maniac
lol.gif
and thinking that it was probably too late to stop anything, I took Tezca out again.

I was right and she laid about 200 little ping pong balls. So I kept this bunch with an airstone to see how they go but I think Tezca is just too young, only 7 started developing and the rest have just sat there, getting fungus on them. I took th rest of the undeveloped eggs out this morning and froze them just in case.

Only seven hatching *fingers crossed* doesn't give very good odds but at least it's a lot more managable than 100! Kudos to Anne-Marie.. I'm still astonished that you raised so many
talker.gif

Pics of the eggs coming a bit a later, just need to find the digicam...

Is there anyway to stop a pair mating?

I don't really know exactly what the sexes of my two are - even after looking on the sex page on this website. Either way I don't want babies! (Elmo is still a baby so not too worried at the mo).

Can a leucistic and golden albino make babies? <-- probably really stupid question
blush.gif

Is Tezca the one from my batch? If so, shes not too young. My albino, Maya which I raised from Quetzal and Tonantzins eggs also laid eggs last week from sperm donated by Gleek (also same batch of offspring). I guess they're just raring to go, Halszka.

Hayley: As long as one is a male and one is a female, they will make eggs at one point *grin* They don't mate all the time - I had mine (Tezca) separated for 2 weeks and Mulac must've thought "hubba hubba new girlie in town, let's boogey!" when I put her back in the main tank lol! I'd say the only way to guarantee they won't breed is to keep them apart.

And yes, Anne-Marie, Tezca is the one we think was from your batch
happy.gif
I was just thinking that she's too young because such a small number of eggs even developed, just 7 out of about 200.

Quick update: I saw some of them wriggle :D They all have black eyes, some have a few dark freckles and two have a definite yellowish/brownish tinge.

Another update, but still no photos (my parents lent their digicam to their friend.. bummer)

Anyways, all 7 eggs have now hatched and the colour count seems to be:
- 1 albino (all white, can't see any eyes)
- 2 light wildtype (all yellowy with dark freckles and black eyes)
- 4 leucustic (white with a few freckles and black eyes)

I'm not sure if they're eating yet but they might still be feeding of their yolk. Will keep trying to feed them with baby brine shrimp anyway. Has anyone had experience with the liquifry stuff? I read that one person tried it, but I thought that axie larva needed food that moved? Maybe not...

I might try chopping blackworms... either that or get proper coffee filters, at the moment I'm using empty teabags
biggrin.gif

Hey Halska, That was me with the liquifry,lol...i didnt really give it ago after being warned to stay away from it on here, so i dont really know if it would work. I ended up going with the blackworms, they are great the axies love em and u dont have to worry about them hatching or anything, they just live there in the container till needed, and a small bag costs about $3 max? and that can last me about 2 weeks? and im feeding about 50 babies.
famous.gif

Awesome.. I'm gonna buy some of those blackworms tomorrow. A $3 bag would last me ages with only 7 larva
happy.gif

Halszka, you can also try live daphnia , it´s great for larva

The black worms seem too big for the wee lil larva to eat, I try to chop them up but I don't think I can chop them small enough? I'll try again tonight and if they don't eat it it will be back to the brine shrimp - got a batch ready just in case. Culturing daphnia sounds about as much work as hatching brine shrimp... and I have the shrimp hatchery set up so I might as well stick to it
happy.gif

Halszka new born larva only eat live food, well it´s easier to make them eat.
Cause I had lucky with two axies that were fed with fish food, cause I used to shake carefully their tank and the fish food moved and they eat.

I have been feeding Axol & Charlotte's babies on black worms & liquid food. They actually prefer the liquid food. It's called Liqui-Fresh & it contains many of the foods & nutrients that baby fish need.
Halszka -( just in case you don't know ) the black worms sold in pet/aquarium shops only last a week. They restock here weekly & come from QLD. I understand the difficulties - cutting them up small enough to feed the larvae, however they are eating some.
I have experienced so many problems trying to hatch the brine shrimp that I gave up several days ago. Although it is considered to be a nutritious food for axolotl larvae, it is afterall not a food source that they would eat in their ideal natural setting.
Even though most of the food that has been given to our larvae has not been alive, it has none the less been eaten whilst their container is swirled around.

I think the best food for larva is daphnia, I had bad experience with the liquid food, cause it accumulates in larvas gills and they died, but that was my experience.

Maybe my larva weren't hungry yet when I started trying to feed them black worm. They're doing fine on brine shrimp for now with big fat orange bellies
happy.gif
and I'm feeding the blackworm to my fish.

They are too young for the blackworms. When they get to having arms, then you could give it a go.
Go to Vebas and get some microworms as they are a good alternative to the brine shrimp. Not as nutritious certainly, but a good thing to have on hand.

ohh i think my axies are a female n a male, i also think there siplings
errr.gif
i dont want eggs everywhere some day !!!! could two white axies with dark eyes make dark axies ? if one of their mom or dads where a wildtype ? .. !

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back