Breeding something new....

E

eric

Okay, I was reading that the way we actually got the golden albinos was someone in 1967 interbred an albino tiger salamander with a white axolotl. If that experient produced the golden albinos (which apparently breed true) then wouldn't interbreeding with wild type tiger salamanders produce all sorts of strange and beautiful patterns? Has anyone tried this so far?

yes just got to wait a few months to see what colours come out like (they are only four weeks old so will see soon

The problem with breeding tigers with axolotls is that tigers don't readily breed in captivity. With axolotls being neotenic, I'm not sure how this affects their breeding with tigers. I'm not sure that this would be true of all interbreeding, but not much has been done with this.

Just as a note, Kylie, tiger sals are not available in australia, so I highly doubt you've been able to interbreed an axolotl with a tiger.

Do they only breed with tigers? Has any other salamander type been used in a breeding attempt? Why don't tigers breed in captivity? Do we just not understand them as well as we do the axies? Also, if I wanted to attempt a crossbreed... would I need a mature semi-aquatic tiger or do they also breed as juveniles like axies?

Yes, they only breed with tigers, not other sals. Tigers have been bred in captivity, but VERY rarely - the requirements are much harder to meet than for axolotls. They need a very large enclosure (preferably outdoors) and a substantial water area. There may be some obscure "triggers" involved, such as rainfall or "imprinting", meaning that they have to go back to their birth pool in order to really feel like breeding.

I don't know anything specific about the crossbreedings that have been done. I'm curious if they were with neotenic tigers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back