HELP MY BABIES ARE ALL DIEING!

B

belinda

Can you put too many brine shrimp in with baby axolotls (few days old)? i have just put some in with mine (3 hours ago) now most of the axolotls are dead! and there are brine shrimp attached/swimming on their gills!

Is this newly hatched brine shrimp - anything bigger and the axies aren't going to be able to eat it. Make sure the water level is low so they can reach the food. I have noticed that brine shrimp tend to clump when they die - like a big dust ball or something.

Maybe try and track down some microworms instead.

Are you keeping the water clean? If you look at the dead ones, can you see a bubble in their stomach?

are you rinsing the brineshrimp thoroughly before you put them in with the axies?

And are you removing the egg casings before feeding them? Eating brine shrimp egg casings can cause impaction and death.

Yes they are newly hatched brine shrimp, hatched that day. I filtered them through a filter funnel, then rinsed them with fresh water into the aquarium.
The only other thing it could have been was the water change, but i used water i had dechlorinated two weeks before and it has been aging ever since. I only have it a few centimeters deep.
So a couple hours after the water change and the feed, ALL by babies except 8 just rolled over and died :-(
?????

Did you add dechlorinating drops to the water, or just let it sit for 2 weeks? If your water is treated with chlorine, letting it sit will dechlorinate it, but if your water treatment center uses chloramines, you MUST use dechlorinator.

You should also wash the brine shrimp in fresh water BEFORE you put them in the tank.

Yep, i added dechlorinating drops, i think our treatment centre uses chloramines.
Maybe i didn't get enough of the salt water out when filtering? i let the water drain til it was nearly all gone, but it would of had a couple of drops of salt water left.

is it bad to put too much salt water in with the newly hatched axoltols? they only way i can feed my axoltols is to suck them up and tip it in. not alot of salt water but some. i cant get a net fine enough nfor the to catch in it. or enough brine shrimp!

Have you tried using something like a plunger coffee filter to filter them through? If you've got females in your household, are there any old stockings lying around you can use as a filter/net?

Shane they make brine shrimp nets that are made to strain brine shrimp in. See if your local pet store has some in stock.

I wonder how you cleaned & changed water in your tank for the young hatchlings? I'm worried I might lose them in the process. They are all white albinos & sooo tiny.
The days of the big arrival will start occuring soon...
love.gif

Regards, Ros.

When i first changed the water i removed some tank water into a bucket then scooped the axies into a net and put them in the bucket then i cleaned the tank added some aged and de-chlorinated water then put the axies (along with the water they were in) into the tank.

Since then i had 10 survive and over the past couple weeks i have only lost a couple more. For my new method i use a turkey baster to suck up all the dead brine shrimp on the bottom(added fresh the day before) making sure i get most of them, it's pretty easy as they all bunch up together when they die. After that i top up the aquarium with the same amount of water as i took out (aged and dechlorinated of course).

Now i am finding that the remaining babies are doing really well, maybe the first ones died cause i moved them too much??? It is a bit time consuming sucking up all the dead brine shrimp, but it's worth it as now my babies seem really healthy.

When they first hatch I used to move them with a straw. Hold your finger over the top of the straw, put the straw in the water, remove your finger and they all go zooming up the straw like its the speedway.

Thanks Belinda & Anne-Marie
smile.gif
I'm at the stage of "cooking" the shrimps at the moment. I have plenty of dechlorinated water ready, & everything else necessary. Other than a turkey baster. Do they sell them in our Mitre 10 stores or ?
In appreciation, Ros.

yeah ive been looking everywhere for a turkey baster but havent come across one yet. im using the same sort of thing though that i got out of my amonia test kit which is good but so small. lol. anyone know where the most likely place they would be sold?

I dont know if you guys over east have Myer stores but I got a baster from there for about $5.00. Try big department stores with gourmet / unusual cooking sections - like yuppy stores. David Jones??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back