Genetics and Color

L

lisa

Just a question on genetics. I have another addition to my axie family. Lance. He (as far as I can tell it's a he) is tan/light brown colored, with the same irodescent spots golden axies have, but no yellow. His eyes have the irodescent ring, but the pupils are pink, like an albino. I've been trying to figure out what he is... but despite studying charts and pages of info, all that genetics stuff just confuses me.
I understand it can be very difficult to figure out, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
I've always wanted to know how the tan variation came about.
I will get a photo later today when my batteries charge up.

He's a freak. Take some pics, we always like freaks.

Tan is just a light brown wildtype, nothing horribly weird there. Just selection of light wildtypes breeding with light wildtypes, until you have a light tan one.

If it has an iridescent ring, it's definately not melanoid. Sometimes you can't see the yellow, as it's mixed in with the brown, so I'd doubt he's axanthic either. But take a pic!

Well you are very lucky to get such a different axie although I have seen a couple of people on this site with the same type, I can’t help you. It will be interesting to see some pics I’m looking forward to it.

Yeah Lisa, hurry up!
smile.gif

Ok Ok! I didn't know I'd cause so much excitment.
Lance is doing well, a little hungry though, I forgot how fussy some axies can be when it comes to learning hand-feeding, the little sook.
Interesting to hear he's a wildtype, makes sense except his eyes are bit pinkey, it might have been the light I was in... I'll check again tomorrow.
On the same topic, my axie Bob is tan. But has no markings at all. Same thing, just selective breeding? But anyway, enough chat, here he is in all his freaky glory.
Lance...
39006.jpg

and a close up of his markings, when I get him in a tank, I'll get a photo of his tail.
39007.jpg

Went mad taking photos again, more posted in the gallery section.

(Message edited by lisapie on July 08, 2005)

Eyes don't look pink to me. Could just be the light reflecting back. Very pretty color though. I'm jealous.

Checked again, yes his eyes are pink.
Thanks Cynthia, indeed I thought he was an albino of some sort, but it made no sense! Oh well, I'll just have to be content with calling him a freak. Finally got him to eat today, he had a bit of prawn. I'm so relieved.
And thankyou for all of your replies.
happy.gif

i'm not sure why pink/non pigmented eyes indicate albinism in axolotls (and don't in other species)? In mammals there are non-albino animals with no eye pigment (in hedgehogs ruby eyed cinnicot, apricot, and other, and i believe similar colors in mice.) it seems like this is an analogous case?
-e

I think maybe because ALL albinos have non-pigmented eyes, we jump to conclusions thinking all animals with non-pigmented eyes are albino. But I think you'd be right saying this is an analogous situation (By the way, cinnicot is my favorite hedgehog coloration!).

The only weay to qualify an animal as albino is if it lack ALL of it's black pigment (called melanin). If there is even a small amount of dark pigment (dark eyes, small dark speckles, etc.), the animal is Leucistic, not Albino. An animal with dark colouration with non-pigmented eyes is something else, but I can't remember the name of the morph at the moment.

Ahhh, so just because he has pink eyes, doesn't mean there is albino in him. And I was confused before I asked questions... Thanks everyone for all the info.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back