Help us

C

callie

we just got 2 axies for my 4 yr old son, he loves them but after only 5days we have eggs everywhere, I don't know that much about them so don't think we will be able to care for them, can anyone give us some advise on what to do it would be much appreciated

were do you live you could sell them on this forum. but what do you mean by "advise on what to do with them" do you mean how to cull them or how to look after them?

I'm in Sydney, how to look after them and if it's alot of work raising them, we're still getting the hang of how to look after the parents,

well it is quite a task looking after them but if you want to do it all the information you need should be athttp://www.axolotl.org under rearing. it would be a good experience for your son seeing them grow up.

thank you, I'm sure we will be needing some more advise along the way, one other thing will the parents eat the eggs.

Well it is possible for the parents to eat the eggs but not as common as them eating the baby’s that’s why it is best to take them out ASAP

callie - Welcome to the forum.
As Nathan mentioned you should read
http://www.axolotl.org/rearing.htm for information on raising the larvae and the entire site is full of information on axolotl care.

Raising larvae is time consuming and you will need to purchase the necessary supplies. Axolotl larvae only eat live food so you will need to hatch your own or find a source. Your eggs will hatch in 2 to 3 weeks (depending on temperature) so you will have to dig right in if you decide to raise some of them.

If you do not want to raise the larvae you may be able to give the eggs away, or you can destroy them. If you are going to dispose of them you should do it ASAP.

hello i was wondering if i could find out when to take out the parents.and if there are no plants in the tank will the eggs still hatch.

Jacob - Yes the eggs will hatch with no parents and no plants in the tank, provided you have the right temp and good water quality.

If you have substrate in your tank where the eggs are it is going to be hard to feed and clean the tank with larvae in it. They are much easier to take care of in bare bottom containers.

If your eggs are on decorations or plants it is usually easier to move the eggs to a different container to hatch. You should watch them and remove any eggs that are not developing or eggs that go cloudy on a daily basis so they do not spoil the rest of the eggs. Running an airstone "lightly" in the container with the eggs is beneficial.

If you leave the parents in the tank with the eggs until they hatch they will eat the babies. So separating them before then would be best if you are planning on raising the larvae.

You should read: http://www.axolotl.org/rearing.htm

for info on raising the larvae.

I was just wondering if it's ok to move the eggs once they have started to develop, will this cause any stress or kill the larvae. and does any one know of a source where I can get food to feed the larve when they hatch, I live in Sydney, thanks for your help.

It depends what you mean by move. If they are on a plant and you mean removing the whole plant, it shouldn't be a problem. If the eggs are stuck on something which can't be removed from the tank, and needs to be scraped off with a credit card or something similar, then they may indeed sustain some damage. However, if the eggs were only laid on the 6 July as your original post, this should be fine for either method.

If what you see is little round things in gooey egg sacs, this is fine to remove. If what you see is crescent shaped critters, then I would say - no, don't move them.

food, you should be able to get Brineshrimp from most pet stores

(Message edited by archino on July 10, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back