Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Size, house?

D

daniel

I have 6day old eggs in my tank. I would love to know, do i seperate them by the size of them after a couple of days or just leave them all together untill they are a few weeks old, then seperate them. I have another tank running which is fairly new and reading a post earlier, is it bad to have gravel with new borns, as they might get caught under it?
Finally when i do seperate the new borns is it essential to have all the filters and air or is a empty little plastic tank ok.
Thanks keeffe (new to this forum)

N

nathan

well you don't have to separate them until
one is so big that it can eat another and
this will take some time (usually), well it
is important to have clean water but you can
do regular water changes instead of having a filter (not full water changes) and yes it is important to have air on softer current
though. i hoped i helped.

J

jennifer

It will take more than a couple of days to see size differences. Gravel is not a good idea, as it makes cleaning much harder. You can use a tank without filter or air, as long as it's shallow and you do large water changes every couple of days.

C

claire

i keep my babies in separate tubs (one in each tub) and do full water changes on them every other day. i use a weak bleach solution to clean out the tubs once a week and thoroughly rinse them out with clean dechlorinated water. if kept in separate tubs and water changes are done regularly then there isnt much need for an air supply.

Good luck with the eggs. they do take a lot of time and money as you will find out son.lol.

D

daniel

Thanks guys much apperciated.
This will be fun and i have most of the supplies and all that is needed is the food and i read up on that, and are hatching some shrimp.
I will keep posted and tell you what happens.

D

daniel

Oh and another question, sorry guys.
The eggs are developing well, but is it better if i removed them from my mane tank that has gravel filter ect, just before they hatch or leave untill they have hatched and are munching on there yolk. ??????????

J

jennifer

It's certainly easier to catch them before they hatch
wink.gif

A

anne-marie

How many eggs do you have, Daniel? What country are you in?

D

daniel

i have about 80 eggs and i am in Australia..
I probably will remove them in a couple of days.

C

claire

remove the eggs and make sure the water you put them in is well oxygenated and the oxygen is able to get to all eggs. this will help them develop properly. if the eggs are on plants then thats great just leave them on there when you remove them.

N

nathan

how do you guys move them if there is a egg
that is not attached to anything? i find
the best way is to suck them up
uhoh.gif
with a straw. if there
is anything wrong with this method
please comment.

C

claire

use a turkey baster. the hole is big enough for the eggs to pass through and it wont break the egg open.

any pics of the developing eggs???

Good luck when they hatch
happy.gif

D

daniel

ok my axis babies are hatching which is great, and now is feeding.
i know it takes a couple of days for them to start eating, and i went to get some brime shrimp but instead i was givin baby shrimp which is frozen and apperantly brakes up in water and axis eat it, but to my supprise they are not eating it.
What to do and what is the better food for these little guys. Ta daniel

A

anne-marie

Its too soon for them to eat if they are just now hatching. Feed 24-48 hrs after hatching. You need brine shrimp eggs and you need to hatch them out. Also microworms are good and small enough for them.

C

claire

Daniel they will only eat live food because they only have the sense of movement. they cant eat frozen food until they have all legs or just before. get some daphnia because they can be left in the water and once the axies have eaten all the yolk sac in their belies they will move onto the daphnia.

good luck

A

anne-marie

They come in a kind of Chinese take-away container with oat-slush stuff that they eat and they cliimb up the sides of the container. They look like hairs but they're only about a few mm long.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!