Sexing question

A

amy

well, i think i may have found out why there have been no babies. both bailey and tia have rather large cloacas, even though the description of a females head fits tias head exactly. i think my new axie is a female as shes about the same size as tia and bailey but has a small cloaca like that of a female but she has the head shape exactly like tia. im soooo confused! can you maybe help me?

How about a piccy Amy, especially of their sexy bits?

Here's a piccy of a male and female cloaca...posted these before some time ago but people still ask...lol. and hey I get sexing axies wrong too...Moonpie was a lad and then a girl and now seems to be a man wtg daddy Moonpie.

Tweak's the piccy at the bottom. Looks like he has huge cajones but we think he's gay...what a waste...lol

30361.jpg

30362.jpg

Whoa... now I know what a male part looks like... I hope my Dragoon II will be a guy even though it's only like... 2-3 mths old.
How long can ya hold an axie out of the water for? (Wouldn't it kill the axie if it's not in water for a while?)

guess tias a guy then. his/her full name is tia luso so i suppose we can call him lou now! lol. thanks for those pics. theyre really helpful

I think my Dragoon II's a boy... he's developed black toes already and he's 18cm now!!!

Dont worry yuo'll find out soon enough; What sex they are.

As for holding them out of water for any length of time; I wouldn't reccommend it at all. But I took these piccys to demonstrate the sexing question some time ago. It took only a few seconds to get these snaps.

Your best bet (when not trying to get pics of their naughty bits) is probably to hold them vertically under water in the manner that Mikki is in the photo, and look through the glass. I can't imagine that being out of water for any length of time is good for their stress level.

if you view them from above you can see the bulge from the male cloaca but not the female. finally getting the hang of this sexing thing now!

I make my Dragoon II chase my finger on his back legs while I try to look at his Cloaca... another thing... you can tell a male by their narrow head and longer tail. Females have proably a wide head and short tail.

i tried that method but it didnt work. thats why i got it wrong. tia has a really fat stubby head but shes a he. its all very confusing.

He he... did you see the tail and compared it to another axy its age?

Wow that guy is huge! Those pics will help me tell the sex of mine though. Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back