Albino + melanoid = ?

A

amy

im usually pretty good with the genetics thing but im not sure what % of dark babies id get if i crossed my melanoid with my albino. i think my current batch are from a dominant wildtype (DD) that isnt carrying the albino gene so when they crossed with my albino (dd) i got all dark babies carrying the albino gene (Dd). i dont really understand how it would work being crossed with a melanoid though. thanks for any help
happy.gif

Are yours albino or white? There are seperate genes for each condition. A white albino(white with red eyes) would have an d/d a/a combination, leucistic(white with black eyes) would have d/d A/a or A/A combination. A white albino could also be m/m a/a, where m is the melanoid gene. Your melanoid could be m/m A/A or A/a. Without knowing the recessive traits of your axies, it's hard to make a prediction. However, once your babies are born, we can use that to figure out what your adults are exactly. GIve me a bit to work out the possibilities, and I can email you with the results if you like.

thanks. so far i know the wildtype is DD and the golden albino is dd but i have no idea what the melanoid is other than being the basic mm. what are the other possible combinations that would cause the dark melanoid colouration?

I'll do the possible crosses for an unknown melanoid and a dd gold albino tonight, and I'll post them later. Of course, all crosses will assume that the melanoid actually has the albino gene (which is only present in strains that come from the original crossbreeding with an albino tiger salamander), and that both are AX/AX, which is the axanthic gene.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back