Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eggs with white bits in?

J

jenny

ive been away for a few days and got home and found my airstone in the the tub (with the bad eggs and gunk in) next to the tub with the eggs. i don know how it got there. the person egg sitting said they dont know they must have knocked it.

but anyways...a lot of the eggs have got white bits inside with them. they are still moving about though. i picked one up with a turkey baster to get a better look and it hatched and is in a cup but i dont think it will survive...anyone know what the white bits are? are they all going to die?
sad.gif

J

jenny

ok had a look on the axolotl.org thing and it says i need salt without anti cake stuff in but mine has. its saxa. will go to shop (if its open) to get some other salt. but is this what i should be doing... giving the eggs salt baths?

J

jenny

also it says about how many grams etc but i dont have scales that weigh that little amount so because i need to do it asap can someone tell me it say tsps how much salt to use.

thanks!

J

jenny

ok went to loads of shops for non iodised salt. non open. will have to wait til tomorrow

C

cynthia

jenny- I am not sure what the "white bits" are, but you probably shouldn't suck up the live eggs with the baster anymore. It can break the egg and make them hatch prematurely.

J

jenny

a few of them hatched when i sucked them up because i wanted to move the fungusy ones and they hatched. about 3 hatched and 2 are still alive. my bloody shrimps arent hatching! think its again because i need non iodised salt. but i thought id just try with table salt just incase. will also buy some daphnia today just to keep them going.

do new born axys tend to lie on their side? they move occasionally but they seem to lie on their side a lot.

the ones inside the eggs which have fungus stuff are still moving. it looks like a white powdery stuff.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Jenny, the symptoms you describe are just what happened to my eggs, including 2 that hatched prem.As you know I lost all 10, hope you fare better .

J

jenny

mine still are moving inside. the axolotl.org says 'At some times of the year fungal spore counts are very high and fungal growth on amphibian eggs is a real problem'
sad.gif
i have non iodised salt but i have no idea how to give them a salt bath because with moving them they hatch! so i think i will just leave it and hope for the best!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1