PDA

View Full Version : Missing presumed gone!

mik
25th November 2004, 17:43
Hi I put the remaining axie babies into my 3 foot tank a couple of weeks ago...and now can't find a single one...Utterly confused. I reckon aliens kidnapped them all.

The tank is 3 ft with undergravel filter and well cycled. Artemia hatchlings were washed before putting in tank. They have just diappeared in last couple of days. If they had died I would expect to see the odd hairy fluff on the bottom but nothing. and no there isn't an extra large baby floating about like jaws.

Suggestions on a postcard...damm aliens!

kim
25th November 2004, 19:00
awwwwwwwwwwww Mikki!!!

:'(

maybe wify got p****d off with them??

Or maybe it really was aliens!!?? Hope they dont come my way!!!

leah
25th November 2004, 19:03
Under your filter?

mik
28th November 2004, 09:42
If they burrowed down that far Leah they would be almost certianly be dead. I have 2" of gravel over the plastic plate.

I will sysphon the gravel this week and see if anything turns up. I puprposely put them into a huge cycled space so that there output would have negligible effect and I wouldn't have to syphon gravel or do anything more than a minimal water chang once a week.

Dumb aliens!

andrew
28th November 2004, 21:32
Mik, i once had something like that happen when a three inch youngster just vanished! I'd only seen it five hours previous! It was in a tank on its own with a sealed hood? Never did figure it out?

jennifer
30th November 2004, 16:31
There are known cases of newt larvae growing up to near-metamorphosis hidden under the plates of undergravel filters. I wouldn't discount this possibility (or the possibility that they could stay alive under there). Hope you find them!

mik
30th November 2004, 21:03
Thx Jenny, now I'm tempted to lift the plate and check it out but I really don't want to disturb such a good tank.

heather
1st December 2004, 01:09
Whats more important to you; a good tank or the lives that are withering away under the gravel!!

(Message edited by salamander_maniac on December 01, 2004)

edward
1st December 2004, 22:31
I've had C. cyanureus larva develop at work inside of canister filters.

Ed

mik
2nd December 2004, 14:11
Temptation won...i looked..no axies...damm those aliens...
Well I am going to relocated my males to this tank when it settles down again. I kept all water, and gravel to one side while I peeked. shouldn't take long at all.