Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Progress Report - Mary Rose's Eggs

M

mary

I'm so excited, it's day 5 and at least half of the fertile eggs are starting to change shape!!! (there are 3 or so infertile eggs that i have found)

The eggs look like little rose buds starting to bloom! It's so cool being able to see the changes as they happen! Can't wait till they hatch. I'm doing a day by day progress report with pictures and explanations of what is happening, I'll post this after they hatch.

YEAH!!!! I"M SO SO SO EXCITED!!!!

K

kaysie

Make sure you separate the infertile eggs. How many eggs do you have? (sorry, I have a bad habit of not keeping up on posts)

M

mary

250 eggs or so. How come i have to take the infertile eggs out??? Will they hurt the fertile ones?

J

john

Well, they should be ok unless there are a lot of infertile eggs. If you only have a few then it would probably be best to leave things alone. No harm adding a small amount of table salt to the water to make things difficult for fungus (fungus will grow on the infertile eggs) - say a smallish pinch per pint (2 pinches per litre).

Good luck.

M

mary

will the salt affect the fertile eggs or the babies when the hatch? There is no filter in their tub - only an air stone. I don't have a filter that i can put in that particular tub - but as soon as they hatch i will put them in the tank with a filter. There are only 3 infertile eggs, and i took one out today and squished it cause i was curious - they are slippery litte buggers arn't they!!! and hard to squish.

Anyway i moved the tub off the tile floor like you (john) suggested and a little further away from the window, and they have grown so much in the last 24 hours! They are now up to speed with the progress pictures on your web site!!! It's day 6 and you can see the buds of the external gills!!! but yesterday they were still round eggs!!! My litte babies are growing up!!!

I would love to do a time laps movie!!! You know, take a photo of the same egg every hour or two for the two weeks untill they hatch, then put all the photo's together, and watch the babie grow infront of your eyes!!! How cool would that be! I'm going to investigate how to do it before my next lot of eggs come along.

J

john

1) A little salt won't harm anything except bacteria and fungus - just don't over do it - stick with what I recommended.

2) They haven't grown like you think. You've just seen them begin neurulation. Up to this stage they have been changing but they've remained spherical so you couldn't tell they were changing with the naked eye.

3) That's a great idea but it would involve a significant amount of work.

Good luck!

J

jenny

i reckon u cud do it if you took two weeks off work or college. or had a camera with a timer on it. even if you took a pic twice a day for 2 weeks itd look cool. id like to see that!

M

mik

Mary rose if you have a copy of Armstrong and malacinki's book a chapter at back has diagrams of what to see at each day, if i remember rightly. Alternatively don't look at the book and be more amazed every day...
happy.gif

E

elle

Quick question.. I saw your other post and you said that the eggs were black on top and white underneath. I just got a bunch of axolotl eggs from the petshop and they are black and white too. Will they still hatch? (I dont have any other axolotl) Im in Australia too
happy.gif
NSW

M

mary

Well i've since found out that the black part is the embryo and the white is the yolk sack, most of mine were fertile, but there were some that looked exactly the same as the others that wern't.

Which pet shop did you get axi eggs from? I didn't know you coud get axolotls eggs!

M

mary

THEY AR GOING TO HATCH SOON!!! IT'S DAY 10/11 (THEY WERE ALL LAYED ON DIFFERENT DAYS) THEIR GILLS ARE BIGGER, BUT THEY HAVN'T REALLY CHANGED SHAPE, ONLY GOTTEN LARGER!!! IF SIT AND WATCH THEM, THEY MOVE!!!

IT'S SO SO SO SOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!

E

elle

There was a tank full of axolotl in the petshop and one of them was laying eggs on the plants and they gave us the eggs for free but had to pay for the plant that they were on because we didnt want to move them off it. Your eggs sound interesting ^-^ Sometimes (although I probably am imagining) I see the eggs wiggle just slightly.. o.0

J

jenny

they gave you them for free! wow thats quite good of the pet shop! if they had looked after them they could have made a lota money from them! where abouts do you live?

J

jenny

hey mary rose did you seen in the anouncement topic your the one who wrote the 25,000th message lol...congratulations (???)

E

elle

Wollongong, New South Wales ^-^ My family is friends with the people who used to own the shop, and their daughter works there still.

**I checked some of the eggs today and some of them have started to turn rosebud shaped ^-^ They are four days old today
happy.gif

M

mary

that's cool - if they are changing then tat usually means they are fertile. If they go big and grey they arn't! I only had a couple that weren't fertile.

Some of them should start to hatch tomorrow (tuesday 10th) i can't wait!!!

M

mary

Noooo
sad.gif
It's so sad, I was hoping that at least one would hatch today - cause i'm going to be at work tomorrow! Now I hope that they come a bit late - cause i'm not working on thursday and i'd really like to see the first few hatch!

You can see their big dark eyes clearly, and if they are on their back you can see the heart beating on some of them, they have big gills that make the look like they could fly to the moon, and they are all different colours with different patterns. I though that some might have died in the eggs, because they are going pale, and some are going quite dark, but they are all still moving and growing - the father is an albino with some stray genes and the mother is a black wild type - so this might explain it.

I keep on checking on them every 10 minutes or so to see if any are hatching!!!

It's like having kids but with out the pain!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1