PH

stephen

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Stephen
What are the pH levels that an axolotl can live in?

Our tank ph is 6.8, what is the best way to bring it up a little? thanks

At 6.8, I wouldn't mess with it. Trying to change it could do more harm than good. Be sure to check it periodically, as tank pH tends to decrease over time, especially if you have soft water.

I would expand Kapo's pH range somewhat, I would say anything from 6.4 to 8.0 is OK.

Hi all, i had the water tested at the lfs shop today the readings were...ph 6.4 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0. The ph is low they suggested that i put a limestone rock in the tank to raise the ph. What do you all think ?. Why is the ph still dropping???? I haven't done anything to the tank, will wait to hear from you guys. Thank you.

hi june, my tank was about 8.0 then all of a sudden the ph dropped to about 6.0 to 6.4, i added some limestone rocks, i put them in stockings so i could control the amount in the tank cause they were pebble size, i did read once that its very common for established tanks to have low ph readings, after about 9 months all of a sudden my ph was to high so i had to remove all the pebbles and now it just stays on 8.0 no problems

Hi Dee the piece of limestone that i got is about 15cm long x 6cm the lady at the l f s said to just put it in the tank use it as a tank decoration, i am a little concerned that the ph will go to high and mess everything else up. Will it harm my axies (2) if i leave it at 6.4 ??and do nothing.The lady also suggested that i do a small water change as that may bring it up a little, any thoughts?? Thanks.

June, limestone affects pH by adding a buffer to the water to combat the lowering of the pH. Old tanks tend to get acidic. The pH will also drop with driftwood, rotten food/plants, or uncleaned waste.

You can use limestone, as 6.4 is bordering on too low. The pH should slowly climb and balance out. I would do water changes as well, maybe 10% twice a week. This depends on the pH of your tap water. If the pH of your tap water is low, it will not bring your tank pH up.

You can also place shells or other limestone things in the filter for a buffer-up if you have acidic conditions.

i also got some shell grit for birds just from the supermarket, washed it and put it in a stocking, i put it in the bottom of my filter, this may be a better alternative to the limestone as you can slowly raise the ph, as for the water changes, it will fluctuate the ph too much cause after the water change it will be high then after a couple of days it will drop again, trust me i tried it and all i got was 4 sick axies.

Thanks for the help everyone, greatly appreciated
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back