Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Serious Mess!!!

A

angharad

I decided to change my tank from pebbles to sand and after much stress I managed to remove the axi from the tank (I felt soooo bad). I started getting rid of the pebbles and to my horror I found poo and who knows what else underneath it all!!! I havn't put the little guy back in and have put the filter on to try and help but I'm really worried and surprised he's never gotten fungus or anything. Would it be alright to keep him in th bucket for the rest of the day just to be safe. I tried to clear out as much mess as I could but theres still some floating around.

K

kaysie

Angharad, this is a GREAT example of another reason why gravel is bad.

You can keep him in the bucket for a few days, if need be. Just keep him cool and in a dark-ish spot.

How much of a water change did you do? When changing the substrate, I'd recommend a 20% water change as well.

Just keep watch for a mini-cycle in your tank.

A

angharad

I did probably a bit too big water change, maybe 30% or something. Also what is the problem with air pockets as i have noticed little bubbles on the sand.

K

kaysie

Angharad, that's okay. The bacteria live on the substrate and the sides of the tank and the decorations and such, not so much in the water.

If you have bubbles on the sand, how well did you wash the sand? If it was dry when you put in water, that could be it. Stir it up a bit and see if they go away.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1