Toys?

N

nicole

What are good toys for axies to play with? Where do you find them?

There is no need for "toys" in a tank because axolotls (or any amphibian for that matter) does not have the intelligence to "play" with them. They will be unneeded clutter in a tank as far as Im concerned.

But hey if you have a "smart" axolotl then go ahead.

thanks.
anyhow, i know people sometimes put some type of balls in their tanks for axies to chase around. Just wanted to know what they are.

Ryan, you're off base here, again.

My axolotls LOVE to chase ping-pong balls. I fill them mostly full of water, but leave a little bit of air in them, so they're buoyant on the bottom. They chase them all over.

Some people put small shrimp in the tank too, which can be chased, and also eaten.

Airstones can make good 'toys'. Mine like to sit on top of them, chase the bubbles, or 'ride the bubble coaster'.

Yup... an airstone disc of bubbles they seem to love in my tank... some sit on it and some ride it up to the top like a bubble elevator - funny to watch and with a plastic plant beside mine they hang onto the plant and have a nice bubble bath!

one new toy that i have found mine love, alongside the ping pong ball, is:
- a very large rat tube, which they run arou8nd in, and it seems all five of them sleep in there
-a home made toy. it basically consists of an old spring mounted onto a wooden base. the spring is surrounded by ph neutral clay(i checked out there is nothing nasty in it) so that the axies cant hurt themselves on it. on top of it is a plastic mouse like a cats toy. the mouse is too big for the axies to swallow, but they love nudging it, and having it spring back, i swear, they spend half their life infront of it, axietv!!

i put a moss ball into the tank but havent been home for a week so dont know if it is a sucess or not.

hey....i put those rings in today. the great white hunter took about an hour to creep up and stalk the dangerous plastic rings before he decided it was safe enough to check out. lol spent the next 15 mins nudging it a little bit before deciding all the excitment was to much and is now hiding in one of his logs.

I put in a floating turtle ledge and several moss balls bunched up by the side of a hiding cave. They often climb up the moss balls onto the top of the cave and also like sitting on the ledge too. Also have turtle feeding/water dishes in the tank and the axies like to lie in these and they even curl up in the smaller dish! I also have an air bubble disc too which they like either sitting in or perching onto the plastic plant beside it and leaning over the bubbles!

Attachments

• Turtle ledge.jpg
    Turtle ledge.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 3,347
  • Mossballs.jpg
    Mossballs.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 746
I have tried the following so far in the tank and this is how they went down.

1 - ledge - somewhere good to sleep - good to hide under.
2 - Plants - somewhere good to sleep / hide in / does my bum look big in this?
3 - other axies - good to nudge and sit on.
4. fresh water clams - good to nudge.
5. moss balls - snore.
6. lass jars - food.....fooooood.... wait no food ..... bored now. double check :( nope no food.
7. upside down plant saucer - home sweet home
8. shrimp - I can hunt it - chase it - and if I am quick enough ..... no missed. (can cause fights b carefull with multiple axies)
9. bubbles - like a summer breeze/spar treatment)
10. ping pong ball - WHAT IS THAT!!! (RUN AND HIDE)
11. Pet treat ball - MMMMMMMM... I can nudge it AND I get food
12. mesh fish breeder - Can hide under it hang off side ..poke it.... POKE.... POKE!!!! are there shrimps in there!!!!!

Yes my axies are fat :) try them with everything see what they like the most...if they can sleep on it nudge it or eat it they will like what you give them.

i was going to get a ledge and then was told they were a waste of money by a few people on here who had tried them. i might give it a try though to increase sleeping areas.

the moss balls are ignored
ping pong balls required running away from then ignoring
glass plate is watched as a magic souce of food

oh axolotl is a trampeline for The Cunning Shrimps

picture of Fraggle being brave and checking out the rings

Attachments

• brave fraggle.jpg
    brave fraggle.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,584
how do you fill them mostly full of water while avoiding them filling up all the way once theyre in the tank?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back