Pictures of filters

stephen

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Stephen
Could everyone post a pic of their filter because I want to get a new one because mine is not working very good and now that I have two axies in the tank I need a filter that will clean the water better.
Here is a pic of my filter.
82743.jpg

Yeah, sure, mine is a fluval 2 plus, works great, easy to clean. It has a strong current though, to much for an axolotl but there is a little thing to lesson the force. Or you could aim the water flow at something.
82760.jpg

Stephen, what size tank do you have? This is probably one of the key factors when picking out a filter.

I have a Rena Filstar canister filter, made for 45 gallons, but on a 55 gal tank. It's fabulous.

The tank is 90cm long, 45cm high, 15cm wide. I think there is about 160 litres in there.

Stephen, are you sure about the 15cm measurement? That part seems odd. For a tank that size, a canister filter would be ideal. I agree with Kaysie's recommendation of the Rena canister, and I also like the Fluval canisters.

The one in Ryan's photo is a Fluval submersible (not the same as the canister type). A submersible would be OK, but for a tank that size, a canister would provide much more filtration capacity.

For photos of various kinds of filters, see:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/filters.shtml

I am sorry I meant to write 35cm wide

What is the filter I have called?

I got a filter similar to ryans and I have turned the water flow down to the lowest speed. I could not find any canister filters so I just got this one.

I think your old filter was the kind that is labeled "corner filter" on the page I linked. Perhaps "box filter" would be a better name for this type. Was it attached to an air pump? And you filled it with floss and carbon? You might want to use both filters - the aeration from the box filter is beneficial.

The old filter is attached to an air pump and it is filled with floss and carbon. I also have an under gravel filter which helps airate the water.
I am still using both filters and I got a plant. Will my axie get used to having a stronger water flow? My new axie doesn't mind the small current by my old one does. I hope he stops getting stressed.

82993.jpg

My Eheim in my fish tank, have one of the same in my axolotls tank.

I have a fluval 105 external filter see .......

83028.jpg

it does a good job

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back