Best rocks?

J

jo

Hi! Just wondering which are the best rocks to use if I am making a cave?

I have collected some large sized quartz, slate and river stones, but I am unsure which is best. I can get photos if this is best.

Is it best to use aquarium silicon to 'glue' them together?

Thanks.

Hey Jo I have been wondering similar things lately! I have some nice quartz that I want to put in my tank, but am unsure about. I know slate is highly recommended and many people use it here. Also river rocks as long as they are too big to be swallowed I think they are good.
Aquarium silicon is good to stop them being knocked over and squashing the inhabitants!
Quartz we still need to find out about. The only problem I could see is that there may be mixed minerals in with the quartz because of the way it forms that could be a problem?!
I will be interested to read feedback from others....can't wait to see your set-up!

Hey Jo and Row,
I've been thinking about it too, as i just got a new 3ft tank and have decoration on the mind. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a particular glue for rocks, as i'm woried about harming my axies.
wink.gif
Greta

Also, I have been wondering, how long should they be soaked for before putting them in, and do they need to be treated with anything first?

Nice to know I'm not the only one that doesn't know this info.

.. Anyone out there who can answer us?

Maybe a good thing to do would be a search on the site here....I haven't had time yet as I am more concerned with Miles' health
sad.gif
but I might try in the next few days. I have found some good info thru searching, especially if you don't mind wading thru a few posts!
Let you know if I find out more....

I have looked but no total luck. It seems quartz is fine, as long as it is pure. I'm not sure how I can tell if it is. Also, slate and river rock are ok.

Not sure how long it should be soaked for, or if it needs to be treated, or cleaned with anything in particular.

From the sound of it, Selleys Aqua Safe Silicon is the goods for use in tanks. Tried to get this at a local petshop/aquarium, but was told to try Bunnings' but my local said they don't stock it. Oh well, it doesn't have to happen straight away.

Have decided to go with the river rocks (don't worry, they are large!) and we have used a rotary tool to put two together better for a cave, and to make a cut in another, so that a pipe fits snug underneath it.

Sweet! River rocks should be good as they are smoother than quartz. I would maybe just leave them in boiling water for a little while to kill off any bacteria (and be careful to let them cool...river rocks retain heat if I remember from school hiking expeditions!)
How is sunny old ACT? I used to live down there before I decided a sea change was in order....
happy.gif
Don't miss the weather, but I miss the Phoenix though!

I used some granite rocks from my yard in my tank, cleaned them off first of course.

hi, i have asked my sister, shes a geologist. any rock and she can tell you all about it. she has no life bless her. Quartz, marble, granite, slate. All fine. Anything non-porous. If you get stuff from a river boil it and let cool. If in doubt put vinegar on it. If it fizzes dont put it in the tank. Thats the easiest way apparently.

two component glue (I'm not sure thats the name in english) Silicon will not stick for a longer time if used one rocks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back