How much did everything cost?

G

green

just a quick question- how much did everything cost altogether to get axies includes: tank,axies,filters,decorations,plants,even the sand

The biggest variable is probably the size of the tank... which depends on the number of axolotls you want. First decide how many you want, then go a local pet shop and make a list.

If price is an issue, watch your local yard sales and for-sale ads for used aquariums. I also recommend a website called Freecycle.org - I see they also have chapters in Australia. You could probably get some free stuff there.

My first tank - I stopped counting the dollars after spending about $300.

The new tank I am working on has so far cost me a little over $200. That's for the tank, stand, filter and a couple of extra's. I still have ALOT more to add. That's going to mean spending about the same again! he he he

Regards Eastern_axle

im planing to spend $800 altogether and do a gem theme, there is a mineral shop near me (none of the minerals will be too small or sharp) ill get like amethists and other sparkly rocks and make it look really cool he he he

(Message edited by green_axolotl on December 15, 2006)

Sounds like you have a fun little mission ahead of you! I used to collect gemstones and minerals. I have a piece of aquamarine in my current tank, it looks great when the light hits it. Amethyst would look good too! Be great to see some pictures as it comes along.

All the best!

Regards Eastern_axle

i cant wait but it might not start for a few months because the room im going to put them in isnt ready yet(im going to connect another room to my bedroom with a door, one for sleeping and one will have all the fun stuff)

We have spent about $300 as well, in our custom built 3 foot tank, including axies plants,filter, hiding spots, sand and such. We dont think its too much to spend for having wonderful pets that are sooo intriguing.

I just got a used 4ft tank for £16 from one of those places where you bid for stuff online. And a eheim 2213 canister filter to go with it. That was £50 including postage. I've spent about £40 on bogwood, sand and plants from a pet shop. Got some river stones for free.
My old 2ft tank cost £60 new though, d'oh!

I agree with you on that Mary!

You dont have to spend lots of money, i would say if you looked around for really good deals you could but it all for around £65.00.

Tank (3ft) Clearseal - 24.99
Filter Eden - 25.00
Plants (3 live plants) - £5.00
Gravel enough for 1 inch (Builders Gravel - Big peices)- £3.99
And axies - 9.99 each

in UK pounds,

tank - about 50
lid - about 35
filter - 110
light uni and light - about 35
moonlight LEDs - 23
co2 unit - 25
bubble machine - 20
sand - 17
live plants - about 30
fake plants - 20
bogwood - about 30
other ornament thing - 7

(Message edited by js06j2b on February 27, 2007)

(Message edited by js06j2b on February 27, 2007)

Just got a 3ft tank,filter and my two axies back for £40.00,add plants and sand comes to approx £ 55.00 altogether.

Second-hand tank (55 gallons, 4 feet) plus stand - $100
Canister filter - $50
Sand - $5 for 50 lbs (that's a LOT of sand)
Fake plants from craft store - $10
Fake plants from pet shop - $20
Flower pot caves - $5
Axolotls - priceless (or $40 w/ shipping, lol)

hmmm i couldve sworn i put mine on here. oh well.
here it is again. forgive me if it is here somehwere but i cant find it.
Tank (2ft) 20quid
Tank lid 25quid
Fake plants about 8quid (we didnt pay for them though cos the cashier didnt scan them)
Sand gravel about a fiver i think though i could be wrong.
Filter 20quid
Cave/hiding ornament 10quid
Background 2quid
Axolotls (lucistic) x 2 40quid (expensive axies)

oh and a low down coffee table to put them on (dont worry it hold the weight) 10quid

so altogether around about 137quid

secondhand tank with equipment 40€
sand (the kind used to blast paint off cars 5€/25kg
timer for the light 2 for 4.90€
couple of plants 10€
piece of wood (big one 12€, cut it in half and placed the other piece in to my fish tank
thats it
earthworms 0€ 1 hour of digging, should be about 250 of them...
couple of ceramic tubes from our local "pottery"
1€/piece

(Message edited by chanteloup on April 27, 2007)

I got my tank, filter, and stand at a yard sale for $20.
Keep an eye on nespaper classifieds or classifieds webisites.

Well everything that we bought from the pet store wasn't the right sort've equipment so we spent
$100 for the whole set up then.
We've since started to cycle a new set up and thats cost us
$105-Tank
$80-filter
$12-sand
$12-things for them to hide in
and we're looking at some plants now for the tank and they're about $30 total.
Its all NZ dollar.
thats about it so far but there is bound to be more expenses coming up!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back