Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to Axolotls!!

T

tysen

Hi, I just bought 2 new axolotls, after a few days, one got an infection, I’m treating, now that I’ve found out how, but I never realised how much was involved, can anyone tell me what I need to have to test the conditions and what environment is best, the pet-shop advice seems now, a little bit useless. Also they gave us beef-heart food cubes, are these ok?.
Ty

stephen

Reaction score
I use beef-heart food to feed my axolotls. They are all healthy and fine. It is ok to use beef-heart but people say that it is not the best food to give them. They all say that earthworms are the best.

T

tysen

Thanks Stephen, ill get some worms and continue the heart, also, although small youngins, one axolotl has severed the others leg, this is were i found the infection im treating, outside of treatment, i have no real way of separating my axolotl, are there ways to control there fights through there environment or diet factors.

kapo

Reaction score
Tysen, welcome to the forum. Check out www.axolotl.org

You need freshwater test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate to test your tankwater regularly especially if your tank is uncycled or just cycling. See: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml\

I would also suggest removing gravel if you have it in your tank, your axies will swallow a lot over time and it can take months to come out if it does, or at worst your axie will get a blockage or possible prolapse leading to death. Alternative substrate you can use is sand or none. If you choose to use river rocks you may find a buildup of gunk/waste between the rocks and underneath which could effect your tankwater parameters.

At that size they need to be fed daily, twice if they're hungry. Some Axies will tend to try and gorge themselves, so if you find any uneaten food or regurgitated food after an hour or so then cut back slightly on the amount you're feeding. You'll soon get the hang of it; takes a little time to adjust to their feeding and trying not to overfeed them.

Beefheart should be used occasionally. My sisters are round about that size and are fed mosquito larvae, baby earthworms (or chopped earthworm), live bloodworm (midge/sandfly larvae) and frozen bloodworm cube (thawed in a net, then dropped into their tank. I use beef/ox heart strips when I'm feeling a bit lazy about venturing out to my wormbins when it's cold but if you get worms they can be kept for several days in a container in the fridge. You may need to chop the worms up if they're large - start from the tail end and chop off bite sized bits. See: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms.shtml.

The limb injury may very well have occurred at the petshop. As long as you feed them enough and have enough hiding spots and large enough tank) they should be fine.

Invest in a turkey baster if you can find one, these are great little cleaning tools that can be used for daily spot cleaning of uneaten/regurgitated food/waste and poo. Saves having to pull out the siphon.

(Message edited by kapo on April 23, 2007)

T

tysen

Thanks, ill get to the shops asap. Rose was Ok when bought, other axie was seen biting her at one point by my partner, but i suspect it was a block in airator, now that the tank has air, they have both settled right down. Ill post pics of them soon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1