Switching to sand

A

angharad

Right I am going to switch to sand as soon as I can get some... I just wanted to know what's the best way of switching without disturbing or stressing out my axi. I've got a big tank about 3ft and it's also quite deep. If I need to remove the axi would it be alright if I did a big water change at the time as if i have to take him out I will need to drain a lot of the water.

i did a gravel to sand change recently, but my Axolotl is only 6cm's long , so i moved her to a dish with a lid for a a day while i did the change and waited for the sand to settle, you could do a gravel to sand change , if you took out most the gravel and add a small handful of washed sand at the bottom of the tank then wait for that to settle and do the same again (may take a few days for the sand to settle depending on the quality of sand)

This post is 4 years old. I'm pretty sure this user has already made the switch.

haha! you never know... maybe they were waiting patiently for 4 years for someone to answer :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back