Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

If I have gravel in tank how long will my axolotl live for?

stephen

Reaction score
I have gravel in my tank and if I left it there how long would my axolotl live for? I want to take the gravel out but we have this filter under it and if I took the gravel out or put sand in the filter wouldn't work. So how long will my Axolotl live for with the gravel in there? It has been in there for 4 months now and it seems ok.

kapo

Reaction score
Well it really depends on how much you really want to look after your axie and any others you intend purchasing.

Never assume that because its been there for 4 months that it's ok. Also, looking at your photo on other thread it does look similar to ours that had gravel ingestion; especially those glass pebbles (basically anything smaller than the size of it's head will fit it's mouth and can possibly be swallowed._

A

Four of ours had been on gravel and glass pebbles for a long time with previous owners and when we got them they weren't very well; owner just put their roundness down to enjoying their food! Within hours of being on sound they each pooed 2-3 pieces of gravel. Within a couple of days, glass pebbles started to appear in the sand. I didn't think they would swallow those, until i saw it. Poor things over the past year they have gradually shrunk in girth as the pebbles and gravel exited their system. We were quite lucky but probably helped that they weren't on gravel/pebbles anymore. Just imagine the amount of pain your axie goes through as it tries to excrete it - it looks pretty painful - and leaving it on the gravel, because you have a UG Filter is not a good excuse especially if you intend getting another one. I've seen cases on this site of prolapses which can be caused through gravel ingestion leading to blockage, prolapse and subsequent death.

If you don't believe me, put your axie in the fridge for a week or so and see if it poos out any gravel. Now imagine living on it and swallowing it day in, day out, excreting and swallowing it again.

Honestly, remove both the gravel and if need be the UG Filter and find a better filter and keep it bare tankfloor or sand. Bare floor is far easier to feed live food and for cleaning. Live food won't be able to burrow (if you're using worms) into substrate.

stephen

Reaction score
I have told my parents that we need to take the gravel out but they say to just leave it in there because it is ok. How can I make them change there minds.

S

sarah

Let them read these threads,take the gravel out and put pebbles in that are larger than your axies head so it cant swallow them.After all its your animals health that is more important than the look of its tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!