Min tank size for 2 axolotls

B

bryce

Hi i am new to this forum and i was wondering how big a tank i would need for 2 axolotls i currently have 1. He/she is an albino i dont know how old or if he/she is a he or a she it is 5.5 inches/16cm and is in a 2 foot tank i was wondering how big a tank i would need to get my buddy a mate.

It's better to have at least 2.5-3foot long for 2 axies, this would allow room for extra hiding places/decorations and/or plants if used. We have a 2ft for one of our males (he's 32cm+) and it looks a bit cramped. Base tanksize on the size they could grow to when adult (12inches+) Ours range from 28-32cm+ in size

So i could go and buy a 3 foot tank from my fish shop buy some sand some plants hiding spots and another axolotl preferably the same size as my current one and the 2 would be fin in a 3 foot even at fully grown?

and i dont know whether my current one is a girl or boy so does it matter wat i buy if i dont care whether they breed or not

My two adult males are in a 3ft tank with plants and hiding places and they are fine in that size tank.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting bryce anderson on Friday 16 March 2007 - 11:00 (#POST124691):</font>

So i could go and buy a 3 foot tank from my fish shop buy some sand some plants hiding spots and another axolotl preferably the same size as my current one and the 2 would be fin in a 3 foot even at fully grown?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Yes you could. But the two most important things to do if you intend getting another axie is obviously make sure you cycle the new tank before getting another axie and quarantine. Once you do buy the new axie, make sure you quarantine it for 30 days minimum. This is to ensure it is healthy, and doesn't pass any illness/nasties onto your current axie. I've read so many threads on this and other forums where owners haven't had the space/extra tank or time to quarantine a new addition and have put them together straight away only to come back several weeks down the line; with one or both axies being ill and asking for help.

Matter of gender is up to you.

i can quarantine the new axolotl in the tank i have now and put my current axolotl in the new tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back