Are gold fish really that bad?

js06j2b

Reaction score
Display Name
jay bee
my tank is 36x20x20 inches. i have loooooads of plants and hiding spaces etc for my axolotls.

i have some guppys in there as food for my axolotls although theyve been there a while itll prob be a while before the axolotls catch them.

however, i have recently put a goldfish in there (to big for them to eat) as it was in a fish bowl in the kitchen and after nights out with my flat mates someone ends up putting something bad in the fish bowl. so i figured its better in the fish tank?? it doesnt seem to nip at the axolotls gills. but are there any other reasons why they shouldnt share a tank? i suppose i could give the fish away...but i kinda like him in my tank.

will get pics tomorrow...

gold fish get very large and are poop machines, yuo need exceptional filtration, they are simply, "pretty carp". Its not about what you like, its about what is good for your pet. You are the master of its life.

Mr. Goldfish should not be kept with axolotl or in a small bowl. small bowl stunts the growth and can cause problems with internal organs.

my filter cost about £110 its a really good external filter.

my water conditions are fine though. will check again in a couple of weeks after seymour (goldfish) has had time to attempt changing water conditions.

i also have a plec. so will see how water conditions differ with that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back